Lighting Question

mockery

Market
Reaction score
Well Steve just come over to do some par readings and i got some very poor reading. At the sand i was only getting about 60 and right at the surface I was getting about 380. So the lighting on my tank is a Coralife 250 MH with 2 54 watt pc. So what should i do?
Option 1 my friend gave me is to take apart my current fixture and make it a retro and add another 250 MH
Option 2 whole new light like a 250 or 400 with a lumbright mini
Option 3 T-5 lighting

My tank is a 37 tall built into the wall so let me know what you think i should do

Sounds like cruddy reflectors... I can not imagine two 250Ws only getting 6 at the sand bed. Heck. My 175s on my 55gal get more then that.

well could i with the fixture i have could i change the reflector?

Have you checked the output of your ballasts. I tried putting new 250w bulbs in my old MHs and the ballasts were not putting out enough wattage to fire the bulbs.

I guess the ballast are good, I just replaced the bulb about a month or 2 and worked fine

wow very disapointing for that bulb, do you still have the fixture mounted at an angle like you did? could be sending more light out of the tank than you think.

Yeah i know, well I don't think that much is going out. and in the corners at the surface it was lie 150

Well another thing is that the Coralife reflectors in general suck... I agree with the "other Steve" that at the angle it's mounted may be sending more light out the front of the tank... we forgot to test that little theory.

if you want to upgrade reflectors etc im sure we could come up with something, like stated the coralifes reflectors suck, not sure what we may be able to fit in that fixture unless you are willing to go with no bulb cover etc. i could come up with something if you really want to work this out. Jin may be able to give you some insite on a good reflector that may come close to fitting even though he uses t5's, i know he has done alot of lighting research, reefgeak may also be able to help. or you could also sell the unit you have and go with something different. you have my number and like i said if you ever need help im only a few blocks away.i have a 48in CL 2x 150 and 96 pc's and i Hate the reflectors enough to where i dont even want the par checked. good for my softies but im not a big sps fan anyways, though i am seeing more of them i like.

Yeah never thought of that. But i'm kind thinking that i should look at a new reflector then move down the line.

most likely your best bet and you dont have to fool with retro'ing anything. a new setup would be your best bet.

If you are having to angle the fixture, you're definitely losing out. What dimensions do you have to work with above your tank?

mufret;260581 wrote: If you are having to angle the fixture, you're definitely losing out. What dimensions do you have to work with above your tank?
well the tank is 30 wide 22 tall and 12 deep but since it is in wall i would guess it would be like 10 aren't covered

That's a difficult length (30") to light well with one MH. You could do it if you don't mind significantly less PAR on the 2 sides. My suggestion would be 2 X 150w or a T5 4 X 24w retro.

Is there a reflector could fit into my fixture? or should i just get something all new

Ok what about
a> guys

to big to retro but should be able to use your old ballast if you want, alot nicer reflector than you have now.

Back