Lighting Question

zapped82

Market
Reaction score
I'm going to pick up my new RR 135 tonight and I need to decide how to light it. I am going to go with MH and have looked at (2) 250W LumenMax w/ dual galaxy ballast but was thinking about building a canopy for the tank. Will I get better results using the LumenMax pendants without the canopy or retro-kits in a canopy with some T5 actinics as well? I'm kind of hoping I can find a used setup but if not I'll just buy new.

Thanks for any input!
Zac

Consider an open top canopy if you decide the LumenMax pendants. I would definitely do a mix of Metal Halide and T5 actinics for color balance.

This level of lighting will probably be more appropriate for a high energy tank (SPS tank) so be sure to compliment with plenty of flow (Koralia, Streams, etc.).

If you want less number of fixtures with more light and not worry about heat, I will go with MH, preferably 400W.
If you wanted to have less heat and not care about lots of individual bulbs, then go with T5's.
If you don't care about heat or to many fixtures but want the flexibility to mix and match to get the right color balance, go with a combination.

IMO, corals give out the best colors with T5's and you have a better range of option to pick the right color temp for your tank. But I like less clutter so I have 4 MH hangin over my 300.... There is never an easy bullseye option when it comes to this hobby... You should ask about what salt to use next? :)

If you can do an open top canopy, that will greatly ease he heat problem. I didn't have ANY heat issues when mine was open top. Now that it's closed, my tank lights shutt off all the time due to heat (RK2 shuts them down).

Thanks for the opinions... don't worry I won't ask about salt, I've seen that one before.

I think I'm going to go with the open top and run (2) 250W pendants. I might add a couple T5 actinics in there depending on what it looks like once it's up and running.

Thanks,
Zac

Back