lighting question

kevinbeth

Market
Reaction score
The 2 mh bulbs in my outer orbit are getting up there in age and i need to replace them. I currently have 2 150w 14k bulbs and 2 130w dual actinic. Now that i am starting to dabble in sps i am wondering if i should replace the 14k with lower 10k bulbs. Is it true that sps prefer the 10k to grow over the bluer 14k?

It true that sps prefer the 10k to grow over the bluer 14k. However a bit blue wiill not matter much.

When you are buying replace bulbs it better to ask yourself what you want out of the bulbs. Do you want faster growth or better looking corals? Keep in mind you are not going to lose that much growth if you went with 14K rather then 10K.

Wolfie hit it on the head... 20k dig deeper into a tank but don't create a lot of PAR. 15k looks great, you won't get the growth of a 10k but IMO looks great! Hell a 6500k does miracles for growth but looks like someone pissed in the tank.

-ansley

I switched back to 10K from l4K. My SPF corals not only stopped growing but lost their color. The LPS corals loved it.

Go with what you like to look at rather than what they corals will grow the fastest under.

I like the look of 20k, so I use the xm20k (the reeflux 12k looks like a 20k, fyi). the xm has the best par for a 20k bulb. My sps colour up better under the bluer light rather than the 10k or 14k.

Skriz;173296 wrote: Go with what you like to look at rather than what they corals will grow the fastest under.

I like the look of 20k, so I use the xm20k (the reeflux 12k looks like a 20k, fyi). the xm has the best par for a 20k bulb. My sps colour up better under the bluer light rather than the 10k or 14k.

True - True -

My tank looks awfull under 10K lighting, no color or pop... I solved the problem for me (who is the most important person looking at my tank IMO :) ) with Pheonix 14K bulbs.

Back