Lighting recommendation for reef breeders leds

nicoli627

Market
Reaction score
deciding between phantom 24 or 32 over a new 36"x18" 65 gallon reef. Any recommendations from folks out there

Thanks

Nicoli627;1005115 wrote: deciding between phantom 24 or 32 over a new 36"x18" 65 gallon reef. Any recommendations from folks out there

Thanks

Really depends on how you plan on stocking your reef. If you were going with SPS in the middle and upper areas with softies and some LPS on the edges then the 24 would work. If your trying to go wall to wall with corals then get the 32

I would tell you to stay away from LEDs altogether if you are looking to do an SPS dominant tank, but they are great for an LPS/softy reef.

if you want to see a lot of very successful led lit sps dominant tanks,go check out r2r.there are a bunch of long term led users with amazing sps reefs.first one to look at is Reefnjunkies.hes been growing strictly under leds for years.
there is a heavy "no led bias"on ARC but ive been running them over my acro dominant reef for years as well.

reeferman;1005149 wrote: if you want to see a lot of very successful led lit sps dominant tanks,go check out r2r.there are a bunch of long term led users with amazing sps reefs.first one to look at is Reefnjunkies.hes been growing strictly under leds for years.
there is a heavy "no led bias"on ARC but ive been running them over my acro dominant reef for years as well.

I am not biased against them. :). Matter of fact, I am running two like yours. LOL. Of course I have no corals in the tank yet but.....

you know what i mean Rich :)
everybody says "you cant grow acros with leds" ,yet there are countless awesome stony dominated led lit tanks on the net.i guess you just cant grow acros with leds in the Atl area ;).
i totally get what they are saying but it is possible with relative ease.

reeferman;1005156 wrote: you know what i mean Rich :)
everybody says "you cant grow acros with leds" ,yet there are countless awesome stony dominated led lit tanks on the net.i guess you just cant grow acros with leds in the Atl area ;).
i totally get what they are saying but it is possible with relative ease.

Can it be a factor. Sure it can. But so can everything else in this hobby. Success is more about how you do it than what you do it with in my opinion. Sure some things are easier than others or work better. But the choice of light source alone is not the determining factor.

I firmly believe that leds grow sps extremely well. The only reservation I have is the coloring of the corals under leds. Maybe it is just a mental block(small dam for me) but the colors do not appear as intense to me as under MH or T5s. I very much want to use Leds ,maybe I should see them in person and tilt the scales.

Tell you what Dave, fill my tank with SPS and you can come check the progress anytime you want. Think of it as a blank canvas. Hehehehehehehe

Dave,if you would like to drive down to Augusta one sunday,i would love for you to see my tank.i believe it would seal the deal for you.theres no shortage of color intensity.
to answer the OPs question,the 24 would do you well.

reeferman;1005170 wrote: Dave,if you would like to drive down to Augusta one sunday,i would love for you to see my tank.i believe it would seal the deal for you.theres no shortage of color intensity.

I like my idea better. :)

Experience with led ( radion g1 and radion G3 pro) vs 10 bulb KZ set up ( driven by multiple 660 ice caps)is that the growth is similar.. I had awesome success with Millies under led vs t5. The polyps extension and tip colors were phenomal. But when it came to smooth skin such as Hawkins Blue and The colored dragons, I had really pale coloration compared to my t5 set up. Growth pattern was also somewhat better looking under LED. The t5 growth was a lot more extended and elongated while led grew closer together. Both tanks were linked to 1 sump in the utiilty shed so parameters should be similar if not identical. I was upgrading both to LED when budget ran dry for second tank. And it stayed dry for about 15 monthes until the crash and move.

i havent really noticed a difference in any of my acros.my hawkins,red dragon,pacman,bananas lokani,multiacuta and all other smoothskins are just as vibrant but of course,your mileage may vary :)
i went from mh to ATI Powermodule to diy Cree leds so ive used them all and prefer the leds by a long shot

reeferman;1005149 wrote: if you want to see a lot of very successful led lit sps dominant tanks,go check out r2r.there are a bunch of long term led users with amazing sps reefs.first one to look at is Reefnjunkies.hes been growing strictly under leds for years.

Thank you mine does quite well under RB P48. MUCH better than when I had MH. But my husbandry has also grown as well:up:

reeferman;1005170 wrote: Dave,if you would like to drive down to Augusta one sunday,i would love for you to see my tank.i believe it would seal the deal for you.theres no shortage of color intensity.
to answer the OPs question,the 24 would do you well.
Thanks for the invite ,I may do that as I am bidding on a huge kitchen in the area.

grouper therapy;1005166 wrote: I firmly believe that leds grow sps extremely well. The only reservation I have is the coloring of the corals under leds. Maybe it is just a mental block(small dam for me) but the colors do not appear as intense to me as under MH or T5s. I very much want to use Leds ,maybe I should see them in person and tilt the scales.
This is what I mean. I grew SPS sussessfully under LEDs. It is the coloration of the SPS under LEDs that was the issue for me.

Both the brands I used separately for a year each were mass produced (AI Sol Blues and Radions) and not a custom LED rig like Reggie has. That may help explain the difference in color he has with LEDs vs mass produced type fixtures.

Back