Lighting

I run 2 Orphek Atlantik V4s over my 220 that is 72" and supplement with 2 80 watt 60" T5s. I added the T5s just out of reefing community peer pressure not personal evidence that it was needed. :p I run them for 4 hours supplementing the LEDs. With the V4s two T5s seems like plenty of light, I can't imagine running 4 T5s not to mention that would double my annual bulb replacement costs.

Since my lights are hidden from view, well at least from the display side, I just went with a DIY setup for the T5s. I built a rectangle hanging bracket out of aluminum L stock from home depot and a few machine screws. The bracket rests on my V4s letting their hangers support it. Not beautiful but works well IMO.

I got these from BRS "T5 HO Miro-4 Retrofit Kit - LET Lighting". LET ballasts seem to be a solid brand and the end caps are well made with splash protection seals.

The Orpheks are not cheap ( < $2k total setup ) but at least I shaved a few bucks on the T5s. I've had this set up for 3 years and no issues. The Gateway can be a little finicky for some but once I got the V4s connected it hasn't been an issue. I didn't like the idea of not having a physical control panel on the lights in case the app wasn't working but then again I was replacing my reef breeders LEDs (2013-2018) where the display unit went bad in so maybe it's not a horrible thing. I don't love the app but it does the job and honestly I probably used it daily for the first week, monthly for the next three months and then once since then when I recently adjusted the schedule copying one from an Orphek rep post.

Your needs match my current tank: some SPS (birds nest, acros, montis) and a lot of LPS. I use all LED - three AI Hydra 52s. Everything is good and growing. I think you could get by with Black box LEDs unless you plan to grow really difficult SPS. The AI Hydras are great, but they are costly and I know you can get something equivalent for cheaper.

LPS are mostly growing like mad. Have had 3 heads of hammer grow into 50-60 heads in three years. Frogspawn doing great. Torches grow more slowly, but they are doing well. My enrcusting montis cannot be stopped, will need to start whacking it and giving frags away. Acros are a little testy, but I added 5 last year, and 2 have grown 5x in the past year. 1 about the same, and 2 didn't make it. I think it had more to do with placement than the lights themselves.

I have a light rack that I'm going to list for sale soon. It has space for three black boxes and has two 80w T5 retro kits built in. This is the rack I had over my 210, so same foot print as a 180.
20170312_094253.jpg

Back