Lighting

izib

Market
Reaction score
Looking for lighting advice. Ive got a 90gal with 2 VHO actinics and 2 250watt MHs. Ive always used Ushio 10k bulbs and have never had a problem, they last long, and growth is amazing. However, my corals just look washed out due to the "white" light and Im ready to give something else a try. Id like to not make it "blue" though. Ideas? Also brands? They are single ended btw. Also, is 9-12 months still the norm for replacing bulbs?

DO NOT get SE 250w 15K XMs. The color is fantastic imo but the PAR output is horrible.
I'll still stand strong next the the 10K XMs but the 15Ks have just got to go...

Tony, are the 10k XMs more blue than the 10KJ Ushio bulbs? I think I remember hearing that they are. Any idea how the par compares between the Ushio and XM?

I use Phoenix 14K DE 250W bulbs with T5 Actinic. I too started with 10K bulbs but thought the color looked flat... white but flat. I switched to Pheonix 14K and love it. The color is not too blue at all to me. Also, the PAR output is pretty good according to Sanjay's site. I replaced them at 15 months and measured the old against the new bulbs with the club PAR meter and the old bulbs were within 10% of the new bulbs.

I'm running the 150w Phoenix 14k DEs on a client's tank... with the 2 96w 420nm Actinics the look is a very crisp blue. It's definitly blue, a little too blue with the actinics running, but the halides by themself I like. But then again, I love the crisp white of 10ks mellowed out by some actinics.

The XM 10Ks have better par than the Ushio's. I have an XM10k that is currently running with a slightly blue tinge. a little less than the ushio 14k, but nicer than a pure white. Personally would like the more blue look, but it is a great bulb, with great par and great price. If you're ever in the area, stop by and take a look.

Shwaggs' setup looks very nice, excellent coloration. The phoenix are DE though, so that doesn't help you.

For the XMs, would 2 10k XMs and 2 48" actinic VHO bulbs still look nice together?

izib;85303 wrote: For the XMs, would 2 10k XMs and 2 48" actinic VHO bulbs still look nice together?

That's what I was using. The actinics are a nice addition to the 10K's. They make the colors pop!

Back