Lion in a reef?

ckwatson

Market
Reaction score
I am upgrading to a 75 gallon soon. It will be mostly a LPS tank with a few SPS. Right now I have a clown and a purple fire fish, I am pretty sure I would have to find a new home for the fire fish. Is there any reason I could not keep a dwarf lion in a reef system? If I keep it well feed will it leave my crabs and snails alone?

It is a true perc. If I get the lion while it is small, will it grow fast and be able to eat the clown? Right now the clown is about 1" to 1.5" long and pretty fat. It will prob be 6 months or more before I would be ready to add a lion.

Ok I will have to see, I may just have to go with out a clown not a big fan of the tomato or maroon

A lion will eat whatever it can catch and fit into it's mouth. I would have one if I didn't love anthias and wrasses so much.

If you have enough hiding spaces, then you may be able to get away with it. BUT, you will always run the risk of the lion catching and eating something.

When i got my first tank it came with a lion, and it not only was it aggressive but it was scary to watch because you never know when its going to corner the other fish with its spines. Other fish can also be stupid around them. plus perks wouldnt have a chance with the lions BIG MOUTH.

Even the small ones that you see in stores can have a mouth fully opened to about 1.5+"

FWIW, I have had 2-3 different dwarf lions in small reef tanks. Shrimps are goners but never had any problems with small fish. They always seemed to prey on the "easy" catch.

Back