Live rock

dylan ringwood

Market
Reaction score
Sorry if posted in the wrong section. What is the ideal theory of how much live rock per gallon so I have a 40 gallon breeder with a guess of 30 lb live rock how much can I put in there?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

You can get really nice info in this thread, however I did not found the answer to your question :sad: but don't let it go before you give it a good read, since it has lots of great tips to help you, someone else will chime with an appropriate answer.

showthread.php

Many books suggest 1-2 lbs per gallon, however I'd be more interested in seeing you achieve the aquascape you'd like, rather than chase a number.

Much of the literature was written when the most common type of rock around was Caribbean in origin; very dense and very heavy. These days there are many kinds of rock available from all kinds of places, and some are much more porous than others, and as such, weigh less, but occupy the same volume.

To illustrate this I used to have 2 pieces of rock - one from Fiji and one from the Marshall Islands. Both looked to be about the same size, but the Fiji weighed 20 lbs., and the Marshall weighed 13 lbs. So if you were looking for a pound-count, you'd have more mass in Marshall rock than you would in Fiji.

Go for the look, and don't worry so much about the amount of pounds. If you stock more heavily you can always add some Seachem Matrix to your filtration for extra biological.

Jenn

Wow thanks to the both of you I checked out that thread aswell. The landscape of the tank is what I'll work about the most.

I've only been in the hobby about 10 years, so I'm pretty new, but even so I've seen a swing in what ppl are doing with their live rock. I use to see 2 lbs / gallon... but as jen stated above 1 lb of fiji and 1 lb of pukani be TOTALLY different.

Here's my take.

With the advent of MUCH better equipment I think the usefulness of LR as a filtration media is less critical than it once was. For this reason a LOT of ppl, myself included, have gone to sparse aquascape.

It gives a more open look, lets your CORALS create the aquascape, and allows for MUCH better flow. As an example I think I'm running about 60 lbs of pukani in my 120 g display. THAT being said I'm also using a BubbleKing skimmer, and try to keep up with husbandry. I'll try and find a pic

Please post a pic I love seeing what other people got great for ideas.

SnowManSnow;944403 wrote: I've only been in the hobby about 10 years, so I'm pretty new, but even so I've seen a swing in what ppl are doing with their live rock. I use to see 2 lbs / gallon... but as jen stated above 1 lb of fiji and 1 lb of pukani be TOTALLY different.

Here's my take.

With the advent of MUCH better equipment I think the usefulness of LR as a filtration media is less critical than it once was. For this reason a LOT of ppl, myself included, have gone to sparse aquascape.

It gives a more open look, lets your CORALS create the aquascape, and allows for MUCH better flow. As an example I think I'm running about 60 lbs of pukani in my 120 g display. THAT being said I'm also using a BubbleKing skimmer, and try to keep up with husbandry. I'll try and find a pic

Well said. When i first got in to the hobby about seven years ago the rock wall was the only way to go. Nowadays arches and the minimalist look have taken over.

Dylan Ringwood;944421 wrote: Please post a pic I love seeing what other people got great for ideas.

Oh, you'll love this guy setup!!! Bubble king skimmer, MRC calcium reactor with aquarimplants carbon doser, just to mention what I have seen, top notch equipment and top notch coral with excellent growth!!

joseayes;944456 wrote: Oh, you'll love this guy setup!!! Bubble king skimmer, MRC calcium reactor with aquarimplants carbon doser, just to mention what I have seen, top notch equipment and top notch coral with some expensive equipment LOL!

Dylan Ringwood;944421 wrote: Please post a pic I love seeing what other people got great for ideas.

Hi Dylan, here is a couple of ideas. Fisrst pic is on my tanks I just set up, second is someone elses tank that I saw and liked so I kept a pic for a future build.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
944466=52731-Aquscape.jpg
>
944466=52731-Aquscape.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Aquscape.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
fieldset>

Can you change the format of the picture I can't See it sorry and thanks

wow i really like the one on the right that is awesome i feel like i have to re do mine! haha

Back