Living on the edge, Angels and Reef Tanks

lorenk

Market
Reaction score
I would like to have an large species Angel in my tank. I do have a couple of SPS pieces and some LPS. I don't really have any softies in the tank that I care about (xenia, various zoas/palys, mushrooms). Any nice zoas and LPS have been moved to another tank after my orange spot rabbit went on a rampage.

I have a clam, but I'm thinking to part with that if I get an angel.

I do have a coral beauty who at this point is a model citizen.

As far as other fish, I have a large naso, a tomini, orange shoulder and yellow tang. I also have a couple of chromis, some yellow fang blennies, a pair of clowns, the zoa eating rabbit, red scooter and a firefish.

So post your experience with large species angels and reef tanks.

I do it pretty heavily. I ahve an emperor, a scribbled, two watanabeis, and now a clarion in mine. They murder zoas, but the emp also eats aiptasia. I think it would be quite risky with the clam, and LPS are said to be on the menu. I dont really keep LPS, so I cant say for sure, but I havent had any issue with them and my SPS, anthelia, xenia, and mushrroms (which I wish they would eat). I even have some gorgonians that they dont bother. The again, I feed like MAD!!!

I've had good luck with Majestics. I have one in each of my larger tanks and I've never really seen them go after anything but food.

My Emperor likes zoas as well but, for whatever reason, he does not eat the Coco's pinks that are in with him. He's also fond of candy canes and purple and yellow SPS.

If left hungry, though, I'd suspect that any large angel will "broaden" their palette and start eating whatever's they can stomach.

Jeremy, congratz on the clarion!

Mike, who doesn't like candy canes? :)

I'm going to give it a try. Now I just need to figure out which one. I was thinking to get the emperor.

I have a koran angel that I have been keeping in my reef tank. I have been living on the edge for a while but I think I might have to give it up. :eek:

I have a majestic in mine, so far my frogspawns, zoas, leathers etc are all fine. My candy cane keeps falling over or he might be picking at it.

But I love that fish, so pretty, not as nice as a Clarion which I am extremely envious of....

What about keeping multiple angels...what are the issues? Do they fight?

LorenK;218733 wrote: What about keeping multiple angels...what are the issues? Do they fight?
done wisely, it should be no issues. Add according to size and temperament.

Back