Local pre-cut, polished edge acrylic vendor?

totalchaos13

Supporting
Reaction score
Getting ready to build my sump and don't want to cut the acrylic myself. Is there a good local vendor that will cut-to-size and do polished edges?

You'll get a better bond if you don't polish the edges that are to be bonded. After you glue it all together you can flame polish the exposed edges if your very careful with the torch or heat gun. IMO it's not worth it. Leave the torch/heat gun a tiny bit too long on one area and it's ruined. I'd just leave the edges as are.

My Reef Creations do that don't they. you could try to pm Skriz and see

Fish scales might can too

Totalchaos13;640617 wrote: Getting ready to build my sump and don't want to cut the acrylic myself. Is there a good local vendor that will cut-to-size and do polished edges?
Curbell plastics will cut it to size if you supply drawings

tgray3;640621 wrote: You'll get a better bond if you don't polish the edges that are to be bonded. After you glue it all together you can flame polish the exposed edges if your very careful with the torch or heat gun. IMO it's not worth it. Leave the torch/heat gun a tiny bit too long on one area and it's ruined. I'd just leave the edges as are.

Then how come everything I read says you need to have really smooth edges to bond well? I mean, the engineer part of me thinks you are right since more surface area means greater bonding points but all the forums say otherwise...:confused2:

Totalchaos13;640662 wrote: Then how come everything I read says you need to have really smooth edges to bond well? I mean, the engineer part of me thinks you are right since more surface area means greater bonding points but all the forums say otherwise...:confused2:
"Smooth" doesn't equal "polished"

You never want to flame polish the edges before you glue. You can get a very smooth edge by using the right saw blade or running your edge with a jointer. When you glue acrylic you are melting a nd bonding the edges together. Then you can rout your edges then flam polish them.

Edit: You never want to flame polish the edges before you glue. You can get a very smooth edge by using the right saw blade or running your edge with a jointer. When you glue acrylic you are melting a nd bonding the edges together. Then you can rout your edges then flam polish them.

Back