Local Sump makers?

darren24

Market
Reaction score
Any local sump makers here? Just want like a 30L with baffles put in at my intervals. Thanks.

Its a bit of a drive but Blue Planet in Mcdonough makes custom arylic sumps anyway you want it. I have a custom 10 gallon with euro bracing and a filter sock holder that they made.

MRC makes them - send your specs to mailto:Sales@MyReefCreations.com">Sales@MyReefCreations.com</a> for a custom quote.

Margi

Putting baffles into a standard glass tank is really easy and I would be glad to help you out with it.

Yea Lee still getting bubbles but also would love to make the center portion into a refugium. The skimmer is there now since it will not fit in the 1st section.

Thanks Cameron. I am not much of a "do it yourself" person so I may take you up on it. I need to do some measuring to figure out just what I need. Thanks.

OK. It is pretty simple. I just go to Lowes and they cut the acrylic the size I want so it is basically siliconing it in which can be a bit messy, but since it is a sump most people don't care.

So it's basically getting the right size tank that fits, having the acrylic cut to size, and sealing away. Hmmm. Maybe I can do that. :)

You don't even need acrylic nor glass. Plax plastic or something like that will do, it also easy to cut to the right size that you want. let see if I post pic of my home made sump :p
hmm didn't took any pic of it. Will take some pic later when the sump light are on.

Darren24;116542 wrote: So it's basically getting the right size tank that fits, having the acrylic cut to size, and sealing away. Hmmm. Maybe I can do that. :)
The only thing extra I do is I cut two small pieces of acrylic that are about 1" x 1" and silicon them to the sides of the tank where any raised baffles will be. This creates a permenant resting place for the baffles so they won't slide down while it is drying and they won't slip later. You don't have to do it, but it is a nice time saver. Past that it is a REALLY easy project.

Tools that are handy are nitrile or latex gloves when putting the silicon. It is easy to get that stuff all over your hands and this make cleanup a snap. You will also likely want a 12" stick of some sort. The last baffle to go in is usually hard to reach the silicon all the way to the bottom. It doens't have to be perfect since small leaks aren't a problem but a nice narrow stick can help get silicon where your hand can't go.

You can. Your're essentially using enough silicon to 'dam' the acrylic in place. I have acrylic baffles in a standard 55 gal glass aquarium now...works like a champ. As Cameron said...small leaks aren't a problem.

Bah! I have built at least 12 sumps and none have failed. The silicon sticks to the glass and creates a seal of sorts around the acrcylic. Using my little bracing technique I would be shocked if one ever failed. I don't think I would try silicon on an acrylic tank with glass baffles, but the other way works just fine.

Back