long term success with Sps under Kessil??

jimmystephens

Market
Reaction score
Any members have 1 year+ experiences with keeping Sps under kessils? I have done many led with good success growing sps but not great. I'm doing a new build and wanted to get some opinions. I am considering these options.
Tank is a Ada 65 gallon rimless
Going to have some lps/sof ties but mostly sps
1. 2 -360 Kessils
2. Kessils and t5 supplimented
3. Metal halides
4. Reef breeder 48 photon
thanks for your opinions in advance.

I vote 2 but use t5 with the kessil as a supplement for best growth and color

i dont have much expirence with kessiels but out of the options listed 2 is probably going to be your best bet. and i don't know if this is in your head as far as options go but a buddy of mine is having good luck with his g2 radion pros over his 80. hes growing everything from a softies and lps up to millies and acros. hes had them over his tank for about 12-18 months. i had decent luck with the first gen radion with sps and i upgraded to a g3 pro last summer/fall but to be honest i couldn't tell you if they do anything because I've let that tank fall by the wayside while i slowly work on my 40.

I have no personal experience with them, but there was a recent discussion on this very subject over on R2R which I have linked below:

a>

I don't have 1 year experience like you are looking for, but the SPS that are under my kessils look amazing, have great PE and are showing me good growth. I can take some pictures when I get home from work.

Anyone else have anything?
What about if I said this
If you were going to start over or do a new build thread. What lighting would you go with?
Keeping a mixed reef and decent about of sps.
I'm definitely leaning towards kessils. But I'm open to suggestions. My thoughts...
1. T5 - boring and costly per year as the only light source. But I know they grow sps
2. Metal halides - heat and costly on the power bill. Also bulbs but I know they grow sps.
3. Cheap ebay led - not really interested. Been there before.
4. Radions- costly and I've seen some with the disco ball effect (not sure what model)
5. I do like the led with t5 supplimented. But I have a rimless tank and not sure how to address that.
Please chime in with your thoughts. I have been reefing for 10+ years but after I moved and sold everything I'm started fresh with all new gear and what to make sure I do it right with all the latest new gear that works. If not I definitely don't mind the old school metal halides.

JimmyStephens;1030514 wrote:
4. Radions- costly and I've seen some with the disco ball effect (not sure what model)
5. I do like the led with t5 supplimented. But I have a rimless tank and not sure how to address that.

4 with the radions the only time ive seen the disco ball effect is when its above a glass top that has water condensed on it. maybe the one you saw was mounted too close to the water? ecotech recommends 8 inches above the water but they're powerful enough that i like to mount them at 12 inches.

5 have you considered doing a floating canopy? you would still get the nice rimless look of the tank and the convenience and style of a canopy something like this.
search

I've taken my time and done this build exactly like i've always wanted and I went with Kessils, no supplemental lighting. The shimmer rivals Metal Halide. The tank looks great and stays cool. The corals all look happy and are growing well. If I were to do this again, I'd do Kessils again.

I have a tank with AI sols and a 250 with radion g3 with 6 t5 bulbs. I like both lighting options, but for growth I don't think you can beat the Radions.

JimmyStephens;1030514 wrote: Anyone else have anything?
What about if I said this
If you were going to start over or do a new build thread. What lighting would you go with?
Keeping a mixed reef and decent about of sps.
I'm definitely leaning towards kessils. But I'm open to suggestions. My thoughts...
1. T5 - boring and costly per year as the only light source. But I know they grow sps
2. Metal halides - heat and costly on the power bill. Also bulbs but I know they grow sps.
3. Cheap ebay led - not really interested. Been there before.
Please chime in with your thoughts. I have been reefing for 10+ years but after I moved and sold everything I'm started fresh with all new gear and what to make sure I do it right with all the latest new gear that works. If not I definitely don't mind the old school metal halides.

Well i AM starting a new build, and I'm leaning toward Mh. I've had t5 also for an extended time and t5 is really good too. I'm not sold on most commercial led yet... No offense to anyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jimmy,check out the Reefbreeder Photons.im in the process of a new build and im leaving my diy led fixtures in the canopy of my 120g to be sold with the tank.
i talk with Adam at Battle Corals regularly and he gives the Reefbreeders a raving review so i bought a Photon for my new 185g peninsula.ive yet to finish the addition for the tank so i havent plugged the fixture in yet but if its good enough for Adam,its probably good enough for me.

Wow,I'll definitely look into them, it says alot about the fixture if you like them with all of your success with sps. Have you looked into the kessils? Just want to know your opinion on them as well.
And Snowman, I know the feeling about only sps, but I'm ready to ditch my mhs for sure

Yea I've heard the same about them. I like the photon also but the shimmer is awesome on the kessils

Back