Longfin Clownfish... Yes or No?

axio

Sponsor
Reaction score
So what does everyone thing about the new Longfin Clownfish starting to ship?

I personally absolutely hate them! They look horrific in my opinion.

longfin-clownfish-sustainable-aquatics-9_zpslotpav39.jpg
alt="" /></a>

They are sweet depending on what price you can get them for. Simon at Nemo had a couple for $90 a couple months ago...hard to beat that!

Im with you Jakub. It looks like it got beat up. I just picked up my clowns after visiting the store with my wife. She didnt care for any of the new looks either.

Will never understand the need to "improve" on nature.............glow fish and parrot chiclids come to mind as true abominations (not to offend their admirers of course)

i guess it in the eyes of the beholder, but i would have to say that it wouldn't be on the top of my list at any time.

Mikedawg;1100771 wrote: Will never understand the need to "improve" on nature.............glow fish and parrot chiclids come to mind as true abominations (not to offend their admirers of course)

Glowfish are injected, correct? Thats just f'ed up IMO.

This is just selective breeding, like dogs. However I will admit, selectively breeding abnormalities such as this does start to raise an eyebrow. But one could say that with any of the designer clowns stripped of natural clown color could have tragic results in the wild.

With that I think we have to lump them all in as domestic pets. Just like my Frenchies whom have been bred to become completely, 100% reliant on humans for survival.

Dawgface;1100777 wrote: Glowfish are injected, correct? Thats just f'ed up IMO.

This is just selective breeding, like dogs. However I will admit, selectively breeding abnormalities such as this does start to raise an eyebrow. But one could say that with any of the designer clowns stripped of natural clown color could have tragic results in the wild.

With that I think we have to lump them all in as domestic pets. Just like my Frenchies whom have been bred to become completely, 100% reliant on humans for survival.

But they are so cute!

PFCDeitz;1100791 wrote: But they are so cute!

**** right, I'd have 5 of the little beasties if I could a.) Afford them b.) Had the time to take care of them all and c.) Fiancé wouldn't murder me for sticking her with more dog duties while I'm out on the road.

No, no, no...hideous and they look like something is wrong like fin and tail rot.

Dawgface;1100777 wrote: Glowfish are injected, correct? Thats just f'ed up IMO.

Glofish are not injected at all. Very common misconception. They are actually genetically "enhanced" with jellyfish DNA to make them glow. Still as of now there has been no proof of the process being detrimental to the health of the fish. The process is apparently proven to be non-invasive to the fish in anyway. The Glofish also live a full lifespan of a regular Danio/Tetra. If you get the Glofish to reproduce they will actually be the same fluorescent coloring of the fish as the "enhanced" DNA transfers over to the fry.

They were invented/produced by a company called 5D and are the only fish in the world with a Patent on them.

I personally would still never keep Glofish in a home aquarium as I still believe that we shouldn't be promoting genetic altercation such as this. But this is no where NEAR the same thing as injecting, dying, or tattooing fish. Those 3 types of fish I actually refuse to stock at my store.

Dawgface;1100801 wrote: **** right, I'd have 5 of the little beasties if I could a.) Afford them b.) Had the time to take care of them all and c.) Fiancé wouldn't murder me for sticking her with more dog duties while I'm out on the road.

She would definitely murder you!

A few of my friends have frenchie pairs and they are awesome little dogs. I enjoy my mini dachshunds

aXio;1100821 wrote: If you get the Glofish to reproduce they will actually be the same fluorescent coloring of the fish as the "enhanced" DNA transfers over to the fry.

Those 3 types of fish I actually refuse to stock at my store.

Will I get green ones if I breed yellow and blue? :tongue:

You guys should be applauded for that stance! :notworthy: I'm hoping / assuming that you include "balloon" fish in that restriction?

HN1;1100837 wrote: Will I get green ones if I breed yellow and blue? :tongue:

You guys should be applauded for that stance! :notworthy: I'm hoping / assuming that you include "balloon" fish in that restriction?

Correct. No Balloon fish at my store! And a good bit of species that I won't stock "longfin" either.

Back