Longfin Clownfish... Yes or No?

I vote no on this.

Thanks for starting this poll... it felt good to vote on something non stressful today ;)

aXio;1100821 wrote: Glofish are not injected at all. Very common misconception. They are actually genetically "enhanced" with jellyfish DNA to make them glow. Still as of now there has been no proof of the process being detrimental to the health of the fish. The process is apparently proven to be non-invasive to the fish in anyway. The Glofish also live a full lifespan of a regular Danio/Tetra. If you get the Glofish to reproduce they will actually be the same fluorescent coloring of the fish as the "enhanced" DNA transfers over to the fry.

They were invented/produced by a company called 5D and are the only fish in the world with a Patent on them.

I personally would still never keep Glofish in a home aquarium as I still believe that we shouldn't be promoting genetic altercation such as this. But this is no where NEAR the same thing as injecting, dying, or tattooing fish. Those 3 types of fish I actually refuse to stock at my store.

Interesting! Thanks for the info. I feel completely out of the loop and a bit taken back that I knew or have heard zero about any of this. I have some interesting reading ahead of me.

Btw what is a balloon fish?

I don't like them, but I am not a fan of any of the "altered" clownfish. I like my basic Perculas!

Dawgface;1100853 wrote: Btw what is a balloon fish?

I promise you don't want to know... about as bad as an abomination gets in the fish world...

aXio;1100919 wrote: I promise you don't want to know... about as bad as an abomination gets in the fish world...

Puffer fish>? never heard of them. tried google too. Only came up with Puffers

PFCDeitz;1100924 wrote: Puffer fish>? never heard of them. tried google too. Only came up with Puffers

Look up... Balloon Ram, Balloon Platy, Balloon Molly, etc

They essential breed the fish to have a nasty looking stunted fat look to it. Like a balloon. Petsmart, Walmart, Petco, etc sell the crap out of these types of fish.

This is what we are turning clownfish into. overly imbred and deformed.
bd3c2588a39d25889deddce316fbab10.jpg
alt="" />

EnderG60;1100953 wrote: This is what we are turning clownfish into. overly imbred and deformed.
bd3c2588a39d25889deddce316fbab10.jpg
alt="" />
Guess I always thought these goldfish were naturally found this way. That their "deformaties" that are now clear were for or from some specific purpose. Its obvious I never thought much of them as this is ridiculous to me now.

Me and my wife agree. Horrific. I wouldn't take one for free honestly. Looks too deformed to me like a goldfish and a clown mixed.I love all the designers actually. Not these tho.

looks too unnatural for me. I'll stick with the basics. they're all unique anyways!

Back