Look at what I found last night...

chauwall

Market
Reaction score
It's another chitan! It is chewing away at the plastic holes in my overflows. For those that are nonbelievers, here's the evidence.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

wow! I've had mine for a few years, and it stays around the same area on rock. yours must like plastic.

That shell in the top picture doesn't look like a chiton to me. They have 8 valves that overlap, kind of like shingles on a roof.

Derek, google chiton or polyplacophera.

See this thread that Jin started.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17117&highlight=humps">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17117&highlight=humps</a>

Chiton. Did I spell it wrong?

I have the same species of Chiton. no big, but in your opening statement, u spelled it with an "a", and that's why Derick didn't come up with anything when he googled it.

Sorry I spelled it wrong. This is my second chiton. I removed the first one when it chewed a larger hole in a different area.

Wow these things put the fear of god into acrylic tank owners...

I recently found 2 chitons in my tank so I can only assume they are reproducing...

thanks Chau, now i'm going to up all night hunting them down. :)

Caught the b**tard!!!!!!:thumbs: See pics. He's alot bigger and stripier than I anticipated. I kind of feel bad for him so I put him in a glass. Anyone want him????

FREE CHITON to the first person who responds! :up:
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
271241=14999-DSC_0001.jpg
>
271241=14999-DSC_0001.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0001.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
271241=15000-DSC_0002.jpg
>
271241=15000-DSC_0002.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0002.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
271241=15001-DSC_0003.jpg
>
271241=15001-DSC_0003.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0003.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I still have one of those loose in my tank :sad:. Gratz Chau... How'd you catch it?

I only get to see the tip of mine too!I didn't realize how much body was actually on those suckers!

I spotted him halfway out of the hole with a flashlight. Then, I grabbed some tweezers which did nothing. He was holding on tight and running for cover. Then, I grabbed some chopsticks because he was sandwiched between the inside of the front overflow and inner second one. He fought hard but I scraped until he popped out. Whew! He had me scared for awhile since I wasn't sure how big he would turn out.

Victory is mine!!!!

He can definitely degrade acrylic or plastic but I would bet that he needs an opening already started. I doubt he could bore out acrylic-so Jin you are probably fine.

I was surprised that the outer skin is very hard like a shell. He looks soft like a snail. The first "hump" is blood red like he's wounded but that's natural coloring. Underneath, he's putty colored with a blood red vein running the length of his body.

Eeeek! Reminds me of a leach. He's been sitting in an unheated acrylic cup since last night. I certainly feel bad flushing the sucker, but I'd feel <u>really</u> bad when I have to get another overflow.:yes:

Chau, are you coming to the meeting Tuesday? If so, bring him and I'll take him.

atreyu917;271512 wrote: ewwwww.

So what do they do that is beneficial to actually want one in the tank?

they're "cool"! and eat algae & apparently, some aren't "tank trained" yet & eat plastic. doh!

Back