Looking for any extra corals , and a filter

YoungReefer10g

Market
Reaction score
Hi I just setup my 10 gallon Nano Reef tank and it has a heater a filter which I need to upgrade. It also has dry rock, live sand and 2 damsels I’m looking for anybody that has extra corals and I need a better filter ,I can pay but just know I’m not rich.
I attached a photo of my tank.image.jpgimage.jpg

It sounds like you may be rushing yourself. Have patience. You have a small tank, which can be challenging to keep stable. Rushing too much is a losing game in this hobby even for people with the chips stacked in their favor.

And don’t worry; taking your time, you will come across cheap/free stuff to help you out.

It sounds like you may be rushing yourself. Have patience. You have a small tank, which can be challenging to keep stable. Rushing too much is a losing game in this hobby even for people with the chips stacked in their favor.

And don’t worry; taking your time, you will come across cheap/free stuff to help you out.
Ive actually been in the hobby for about a year I had a 30 gallon saltwater and someone gave me something for the tank a trusted friend of mine and it crashed the tank and It killed everything over night I had a anemone 2 designer clownfish and many corals

I would say a new tank needs to mature for at least a couple months to stabilize enough for coral, especially a very small tank. The two Damsels are a good start as long as you are testing ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

And yes, what kind of light is that?
Yeah it’s a really random one it’s very temporary my new light Is coming in this week hopefully one of my Instagram friends is givin it to me. And yeah I’m taking water into Nemo’s aquarium store tommorw to be tested

Great, you can pick up some test kits while you are there, they are a must to monitor the stages of the nitrogen cycle, unless you go to the LFS every day. Ammonia is deadly to animals, even the hardy damsels. Once ammonia and nitrites go up and back down to zero you can check nitrates. 10-40 is acceptable for fish only tanks, once it is consistently below 10 you might think about adding certain corals, closer to zero is better for most.

Last edited:
Yep learned that today lost both of them I think I’m just gonna be pacient and do a non fish tank cycle. I’m gonna turn the heat really high cause I think the damsels died to ick so in 7 days it should be all gone

Patience is the #1 best commodity in this hobby. Buy don't worry, while you're waiting for the tank to cycle you can read up on the nitrogen cycle and have loads of fun researching the animals you'd like to keep, what is compatible, and what they need to thrive. A well thought out plan (with patience) goes a long way towards a successful reef.

Agreed. I’d wait until Ammonia and Nitrite are down to 0 consistently and that Nitrates are non-zero before I put in the first fish. If everything is zero, then the tank didn’t begin to cycle yet. Since the first fish are already in; I’d recommend to just be a little extra cautious/patient, and support testing the water frequently.

Yep learned that today lost both of them I think I’m just gonna be pacient and do a non fish tank cycle. I’m gonna turn the heat really high cause I think the damsels died to ick so in 7 days it should be all gone

I wouldn’t turn the heat up. Could kill off some of your beneficial bacteria. Your fish likely died from ammonia and not ick.

I agree and support doing a fishless cycle for 1-2 months. That will kill off any ich as well as help your bacteria grow and cycle the tank at the same time. Keep the temperature stable at reef temps somewhere around 76-78*F

I agree and support doing a fishless cycle for 1-2 months. That will kill off any ich as well as help your bacteria grow and cycle the tank at the same time. Keep the temperature stable at reef temps somewhere around 76-78*F
Ok I’ll change it right now. I was just watching a coralfish 12g video and he used this product called turbo start 900 and apharently it instantly reacts the aquarium have any of you guys used it?

Nothing good ever happens quickly in this hobby. Be patient and read, read, read. Look up all the questions you have or ask.

Yes, I’ve used it. Actually, I know George as he would buy his products from our store. Turbo start is simply a ‘bacteria in a bottle’ product, like any other. It’s good, but not magic.

Below is a copy/paste quote that addresses this point directly.
1) Patience, patience, patience.
[...]
c) Add your Bacteria. This may have been done previously if using already wet live-rock, and/or wet live-sand. If they’re completely dry, they’re not live.
[...]
e) wait... lol. You need time for the food to decompose, bacteria to nitrify Ammonia to Nitrite and then to Nitrate (2+ different populations of bacteria). These populations need to grow, have babies, those babies to have babies, and those ones to have babies, and so on. As such, there’s no quick-cycle 24 hour magic out there. Feeding human children healthy foods and vegetables can help them grow stronger, taller, and slightly faster; but at the end of the day, you’ll always need to wait ~20 years for them to become adults. No human will mature fully in 1 year, lol. There’s no hard-and-fast rule for how long to wait for aquariums, but longer is better. It can be hard to wait sometimes; I think 1-2 months is more than reasonable. Then, is a good time to do a large (25-40%) water change before you add any livestock if your nitrates are high.
[...]
Good luck! And feel free to ask questions and post photos on here. We’re here to help.

Yes, I’ve used it. Actually, I know George as he would buy his products from our store. Turbo start is simply a ‘bacteria in a bottle’ product, like any other. It’s good, but not magic.

Below is a copy/paste quote that addresses this point directly.
Cool thanks what store do you own

Saying that you can use Turbostart and then don’t need to cycle, is like saying that your car has a spark plug so it doesn’t need an engine. Putting the bacteria in is simply the first step in getting your tank to a good place. (Not the best analogy; but should be communicable). More bacteria can be incrementally better, but at some point it will hurt you more than help. What you need next is time for the bacteria to get busy, lol.

Saying that you can use Turbostart and then don’t need to cycle, is like saying that your car has a spark plug so it doesn’t need an engine. Putting the bacteria in is simply the first step in getting your tank to a good place. (Not the best analogy; but should be communicable). More bacteria can be incrementally better, but at some point it will hurt you more than help. What you need next is time for the bacteria to get busy, lol.
So if my fish store said that my nitrates and all of the other parameters in the aquarium are good then that doesn’t necessarily mean that the aquarium is ready for livestock. I had my water tested today they said everything is perfect

Back