Looking for any extra corals , and a filter

Cool thanks what store do you own

I don’t own the store; my friends do. I was just the manager of the shop and showroom, while the owners focused on service clients. Tank It Easy, in Chicago. I just moved down here several months ago pursuing my dream career doing Environmental Engineering research.

"So if my fish store said that my nitrates and all of the other parameters in the aquarium are good then that doesn’t necessarily mean that the aquarium is ready for livestock"
All it really means is that the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, which are all poisonous, each one a little less poisonous, are not currently high enough to harm the fish. You should Google: nitrogen cycle in saltwater aquarium
There is a ton of material, you should be able to get a great understanding of the nitrogen cycle, and understand why it can't be done in a week or two.

So if my fish store said that my nitrates and all of the other parameters in the aquarium are good then that doesn’t necessarily mean that the aquarium is ready for livestock. I had my water tested today they said everything is perfect

Correct. “Perfect” isn’t a number. If I asked a car salesman for a price and he told me the price was ‘good’, I wouldn’t trust him. And I don’t trust anybody else who uses adjectives as numbers. But that’s just me.

If he told you your parameters, I would ask you;
1) What are the parameters?
2) Which test methods or test kits were used?
3) How precise does that person execute his tests? (I’ve seen people do sloppy testing all the time and be off by as much as 15-20%).

All that said; the numbers are just an indicator that you are on track, not one that you passed a finish line. Even if the numbers seem good, waiting is always best.

I'll say when setting up my 120, I used cured, wet rock and added a bottle of Dr. Tim's. Then, within a day or two, I added a few snails and crabs (like 15 total). Another week, a couple more snails. That was over a month ago. I still haven't added fish. Honestly, I am ready for them but I'm leaving town for vacation for a week so i don't want to get something if i won't be around. I also have a qt tank all new additions will go in before they go into the display. Slow slow slow. I went fast on other tank setups and regretted fish and coral additions and ended up with pests. It's hard to wait but you will be rewarded for your patience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

For what it’s worth, completely accurate or not, one of my LFS explained the effect of ammonia on fish this way:
“Yes, the fish MIGHT very well survive the ammonia spike in the cycle process, BUT the ammonia can permanently burn and scar their gills & lungs. They may always have difficulty breathing, kind of like a kid with asthma. They CAN breathe, but they have to work extra hard to get enough oxygen in their system.”
That was JUST enough to give me the patience to wait out my cycles until ALL the numbers looked good. Also, I had a good LFS’s that were ok with telling me “No, not yet.”

Don’t be discouraged. Just keep working at it and you’ll succeed:) I started w a 10 gallon tank 16 years ago and have been pretty hooked ever since! It’s a great hobby. Just take you time. Let that tank cycle a few months before adding corals imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back