Looking forward to getting wet

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
So, its been a while since I've had my hands in a tank. Some of you remember when I lost my spa to God knows what a while ago. I managed to save a chunk of livestock and ended up selling it on the cheap... I still see some of the corals on the FS forums floating around... makes me happy that my pets are still doing good!

I recently finished the basement floor where my man cave will be. Its a big room with a closet, right next to a bathroom and water supply so ... YEA!

In january we will hire someone to come in and finish the framing of the whole area and put in a drop ceiling. That means the area will be done!

really the ONLY thing I NEED is a tank. I'll make my own sump to fit exactly what I want (as i've always done). I'm looking for 48 long and 24 front to back. The height is negotiable... MUST be glass rimless :)

I still have:

Bubbleking Mini 200
Turbo Charged t5 system with VUE660 ballasts
All the reactors and pumps

Only a few more weeks and I'll be looking for livestock! SWEEET.

One other interesting aspect of this tank will be that it isn't on the main floor, so I won't be hands on as much. I'm wondering what effect this will have on it. POTENTIALLY it could be a great thing. I can use my APEX to shoot my information to a device upstairs so I can maintain parameters. I've learned that once you get things set... to LEAVE them that way and stop tinkering if you want a reef. Hopefully this will help.

I'll also be grabbing a few dehumidifiers for down there and a good heater.

what? whats that? what livestock? DRRRRRRRR... SPS all the way to the glass of course. I'm looking forward to it... can you tell...!!!?

B

oh.. i'm thinking of doing a miracles tank.. seem to be super well made... and can ship to me cheaper than what local makers have been quoting me

Bgcoop8784;996378 wrote: I wonder how de-humidifiers affect evaporation in a tank, never thought about it till now. Really looking forward to seeing this build.

I'm wondering that myself. My dehumidifier fills up every day in the basement room. Hoping it's not drawing salt with it.. Don't mind more top off just don't want it throwing off my salinity.

tonymission;996400 wrote: I'm wondering that myself. My dehumidifier fills up every day in the basement room. Hoping it's not drawing salt with it.. Don't mind more top off just don't want it throwing off my salinity.

it wouldn't be pulling salt. the water can eval and be reclaimed, but not the salt... it stays put. Thats why we don't top off w salt water :)

Curtismaximus;996397 wrote: Change your mind on the LEDs?

I completely respect everyone that HAS LED's but I'm just not sure current offerings are efficient enough for what I want to accomplish.

B

Bgcoop8784;996378 wrote: I wonder how de-humidifiers affect evaporation in a tank, never thought about it till now. Really looking forward to seeing this build.

I don't think it would change anything as far as the evaporation goes... unless .. somehow the air was at 100% saturation, and the dehumidifier kept it less than that and ALLOWED more evap...

I'm thinking I'll need to plumb in a full time drain.... for the man cave, but i'm not sure yet.

anyone who does a basement tank is welcome to chime in.

Mike Paletta has a basement room.

Maybe I'll shoot him a message

SnowManSnow;996407 wrote: it wouldn't be pulling salt. the water can eval and be reclaimed, but not the salt... it stays put. Thats why we don't top off w salt water :)

Just wasn't sure if the dehumidifying process was any different. Guess it wouldn't be.

Back