Looking to upgrade my light

I have experience with Orbit and actually really like them (for their price point). And I’ve noticed they bring out nice colors that you just don’t get with Radions or AI (I haven’t tested orbits against Kessel yet).

They don’t offer much intensity, but you can successfully grow a softies, LPS, and SPS including Acros with them. However, to do so, you will require at least 2 bars running the full length of the tank. So if your 55g is a standard 48” length; then you will need to purchase 2 or 3 units of the 48+” version of these lights.

I have experience with Orbit and actually really like them (for their price point). And I’ve noticed they bring out nice colors that you just don’t get with Radions or AI (I haven’t tested orbits against Kessel yet).

They don’t offer much intensity, but you can successfully grow a softies, LPS, and SPS including Acros with them. However, to do so, you will require at least 2 bars running the full length of the tank. So if your 55g is a standard 48” length; then you will need to purchase 2 or 3 units of the 48+” version of these lights.
Would you also need to keep the SPS higher up in the water column with these lights?

Would you also need to keep the SPS higher up in the water column with these lights?
Great point Adam! In my experience, running 2 full-length bars on my old 75g, all my Acro colonies were based in the top 10” of the tank... so about halfway up. I never tried any near my sandbed, as that is where my LPS and Anemones were located.

Also important, I kept these lights just a few inches above the water... not the 10”-24” that people often do with other higher-intensity LEDs.

I had a bunch of cornbred Acros and LPS, and everything grew quite well for the several years they were running.

Great point Adam! In my experience, running 2 full-length bars on my old 75g, all my Acro colonies were based in the top 10” of the tank... so about halfway up. I never tried any near my sandbed, as that is where my LPS and Anemones were located.

Also important, I kept these lights just a few inches above the water... not the 10”-24” that people often do with other higher-intensity LEDs.

I had a bunch of cornbred Acros and LPS, and everything grew quite well for the several years they were running.
Heck at 2 full length bars, he'd be at the $800 mark. You can probably find two XR30 G4 Pros at that price point and it will grow anything under the sun.

Heck at 2 full length bars, he'd be at the $800 mark. You can probably find two XR30 G4 Pros at that price point and it will grow anything under the sun.
Ya, and IMO, I think it may require a little bit of luck to get two such Pro's for $800, but it's totally within reason. The people that like Radions are always on top of the newest model, so that works for your advantage if you want them.

I will say that Orbit Marine's price has definitely increased over the years. The Pro's used to be $300 each, not $400... it must be a newer model. And if we want to compare apples-to-apples and are opening ourselves to the used equipment market, then we ought to also consider used Orbit Marine Pros, which you can probably pick up a pair for $200-300 total. They are less common, so harder to find, but also much less demanded... so that works in your favor with this brand.

My experience with lights is "buy once, cry once". I know a lot of people on here are going to disagree, but its one piece of equipment that to me seems to fall into the you get what you pay for category. You could get 2 AI 32 HDs for the $800 dollar number that is being discussed and aside from not liking the App all that much, they're pretty good lights.

I have one of these on my 40 gallon reef and it does ok with most corals. The link shared was for the dual bar package which is what I wish I had purchased so it wouldn’t be $800 for two bars just $400. I have not tried to do much with sps so I can’t speak to that. I also have mine just a few inches off the water.

I can also say that I’m looking to upgrade to something better so I guess that isn’t a great endorsement of the product but they are nice for the price.

Attachments

• BF507E6B-C4C1-4346-869B-97C10F744545.jpeg
    BF507E6B-C4C1-4346-869B-97C10F744545.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 23
My experience with lights is "buy once, cry once". I know a lot of people on here are going to disagree, but its one piece of equipment that to me seems to fall into the you get what you pay for category. You could get 2 AI 32 HDs for the $800 dollar number that is being discussed and aside from not liking the App all that much, they're pretty good lights.
The crazy thing about AI's is it's supposed to be the "Budget" line for EcoTech... They have the highest cost per actual led on the market. In this case, you don't get what you pay for.

The crazy thing about AI's is it's supposed to be the "Budget" line for EcoTech... They have the highest cost per actual led on the market. In this case, you don't get what you pay for.
Unfortunately, This is in line with my experience as well. I’ve been disappointed across the board with AI’s units and app.

But given that the link above is for a dual unit Orbit Marine... that is in line with my price expectations for these. I was shocked that their price seemed to increase so substantially... haha. It didn’t; I just misinterpreted the post.

Just saw this in Atlanta Saltwater for Sale and Wanted Facebook group if the 36 inch will work for you.

Attachments

• 46AD7B94-F371-4A39-B01D-91EFFE8A4E47.png
    46AD7B94-F371-4A39-B01D-91EFFE8A4E47.png
    942.6 KB · Views: 17
I ran a 4 bulb t5 over my 55gal for years and could grow anything. Water parameters trump what lights you have. I still am a member of club t5 on my 40breeder.
Chris c

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, This is in line with my experience as well. I’ve been disappointed across the board with AI’s units and app.

But given that the link above is for a dual unit Orbit Marine... that is in line with my price expectations for these. I was shocked that their price seemed to increase so substantially... haha. It didn’t; I just misinterpreted the post.
Oh man, I missed that as well. Didn’t even notice that was a dual set up either. So that makes a huge difference in cost.

As mentioned in my original post, you will likely need at least 2 full tank-length bars. By all means, grab a deal for the 36” lights if you see one. However, if you have a 48” tank, this won’t even be close to the minimum needed.

Btw 36”-48” in the post means that the light bar is 36”, and it comes with a mounting bracket that extends out to 48”.

Edit: lol, that Facebook link is $70 more expensive than the Amazon link, and it is not the PRO version, but he is including a small pump. I’d stick with amazon

Last edited:
As mentioned in my original post, you will likely need at least 2 full tank-length bars. By all means, grab a deal for the 36” lights if you see one. However, if you have a 48” tank, this won’t even be close to the minimum needed.

Btw 36”-48” in the post means that the light bar is 36”, and it comes with a mounting bracket that extends out to 48”.

Edit: lol, that Facebook link is $70 more expensive than the Amazon link.
Dang it. It looked great at first but after reviewing the listing you're correct, I dont believe it will work. Thank you for catching that

Back