Looking to upgrade my light

The crazy thing about AI's is it's supposed to be the "Budget" line for EcoTech... They have the highest cost per actual led on the market. In this case, you don't get what you pay for.
I guess it depends on how you measure. Cost per LED chip doesn't seem like a very good yardstick to me, cost per output feels like it would be better. I'm sure BRS has done a cost per par, lumen or whatever the relevant unit of output would be.
Personally, I don't think I'll look too far beyond Kessil or Radion the next time I'm buying lights.

How come nobody has mentioned Noopsyche? I don't really know much about them, but on paper they look like a viable light.

I have 1 and really like it. Most likely going to get 4 more for my 120 when I set that up.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I guess it depends on how you measure. Cost per LED chip doesn't seem like a very good yardstick to me, cost per output feels like it would be better. I'm sure BRS has done a cost per par, lumen or whatever the relevant unit of output would be.
Personally, I don't think I'll look too far beyond Kessil or Radion the next time I'm buying lights.
Whether the fixture has 1w, 3w or 5w, the more diodes you have the more output you'll have. Pretty simple math there ;)
AI Prime Hydra 32 puts out 90w with 32 leds at a cost of $11.45 per diode. The Hydra 64 has 64 leds at 135w with a $9.84 cost per diode. Kessil A380X has 46 diodes running at a max of 90w with a cost of $9.60 per diode. The benchmark Radion G5 Blue has an $8.40 cost per led, no matter the flavor.

Right now none of these are in my budget because of the sheer number of fixtures I need. If budget were no issue or I only need one or two fixtures I'd probably go with the Radion, and I'm no Ecotech fan boy. It not only has a better cost per diode but those diodes are not wasted with spectrums not needed.

Whether the fixture has 1w, 3w or 5w, the more diodes you have the more output you'll have. Pretty simple math there ;)
AI Prime Hydra 32 puts out 90w with 32 leds at a cost of $11.45 per diode. The Hydra 64 has 64 leds at 135w with a $9.84 cost per diode. Kessil A380X has 46 diodes running at a max of 90w with a cost of $9.60 per diode. The benchmark Radion G5 Blue has an $8.40 cost per led, no matter the flavor.

Right now none of these are in my budget because of the sheer number of fixtures I need. If budget were no issue or I only need one or two fixtures I'd probably go with the Radion, and I'm no Ecotech fan boy. It not only has a better cost per diode but those diodes are not wasted with spectrums not needed.
I am far from an expert on this, but this seems counter intuitive to me. If you had 4 3w diodes wouldn't you have LESS output than if you had 3 5w diodes?

I am far from an expert on this, but this seems counter intuitive to me. If you had 4 3w diodes wouldn't you have LESS output than if you had 3 5w diodes?
No, actually the lower the wattage of the diode the more efficient they are and the more light they put out at a lower voltage. Also NONE of the manufactures run the diodes at their rated wattage, they are under driven. Ecotech runs the 3w led Radions at 2w max. More diodes = more light.

No, actually the lower the wattage of the diode the more efficient they are and the more light they put out at a lower voltage. Also NONE of the manufactures run the diodes at their rated wattage, they are under driven. Ecotech runs the 3w led Radions at 2w max. More diodes = more light.
Then why do people make arrays with 5w diodes? Are they cheaper?

Then why do people make arrays with 5w diodes? Are they cheaper?
3 & 5w tabbed leds used in black boxes are easier to solder. As the wattage goes down the size of the led footprint does as well. SMD leds are reflow soldered where a solder paste is applied to the circuit board and the diodes and other electrical components are placed. The whole board is then heated till the solder melts and removed from the heat. This whole process is usually done with an automated line. The cost of that equipment is pretty expensive and geared towards high volume.

This bugged me all morning, so before I went to sleep I poked around. What I found:

A LOT of people that take growing dope VERY seriously. They make us look like we have a passing interest in fish and coral. Its interesting that with all the uses of high output diodes almost all the discussion I found was centered on how well they'll grow pot.

3w LEDs are more efficient than 5w LEDs and since the 5w lights are seldom, if ever, powered at 5w the 3w can and usually do produce more light. But if you maxed the power of like 3w and 5w chips, the 5w would put out more light.

I still think that that measuring the output of the lights, particularly the blue, violet and UV channels, since these are the ones that people tend to run at or near max, and firguring out cost per par would be a better indicator of value.

Back