Lots of talk of Algae. Please help identify mine:)

leelee

Market
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for identification. I will continue to follow other threads and this one for advice:)

Also, my first attempt at attaching a picture. I hope it worked.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
347355=17045-Hair Algae 002.jpg
>
347355=17045-Hair Algae 002.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Hair Algae 002.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Had those "tufts" in my 30 until I got the pH/alk/calcium right. Then it just disinegrated.

Thanks everyone. I thought that I had the algae ID'd correctly. It is not out of control yet...... Working on correct parameters etc. Went to tags and am researching))

Thanks,

Lisa and Chris Payne

We just dealt with it and got rid of it after several months between my tank and Mojo's tank. See
showthread.php

MrsMojo;347428 wrote: We just dealt with it and got rid of it after several months between my tank and Mojo's tank. See http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28278&highlight=bryopsis">this thread</a>. It will grow even with perfect parameters as we found out. The ONLY thing that worked was boosting our Magnesium with Kent M specifically. PM Mojo if you have any questions.[/QUOTE]

Aha! That's probably what got rid of ours as well - I boosted magnesium in my tanks when I was getting the parameters in sync. But, I just used epsom salts to boost the mag - 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

Chris tried boosting the Mg with several things but nothing worked until he read something about the Kent M product. Once he switched to that we started to see it changing and then it was just gone. It took about 2 weeks but we had a lot between the tanks.

I had some bryopsis come in on a local chalice purchase, and I would cut off pieces as I saw the bryopsis grow on it. I'd take a dremel and cutt off the intire outer edge of the chalice, just to have the bryopsis come back in the same area....must have deep roots. The stuff is a plague. I then started seeing small patches on the rocks adjacent to the chalice.

Finally, I took the affected rocks out of the tank and bleached the spots where the bryopsis grew. I haven't seen any for a few days, so I hope I got it all.

I wouldn't wait to start dealing with it.

LeeLee;347527 wrote: Household bleach? Thanks

Yes, household bleach. The trick is to apply it only where the bryopsis is growing, and have some tank water to rinse the bleach off the rock before you put it back into the tank. I used a syringe and would apply a couple drops to each patch. Works in a few seconds.

Back