LTA Experiment

outdrsyguy1

Market
Reaction score
Time for some trial and error! Going to try and get my purple long tipped anemone to stay put in a small 1/2 gallon fish bowl so I can put it in the new tank. It really only stays put when it's got close to 6" of sand bed which I'm not going to do in a 10 foot aquarium hehe.
I plan on gluing rocks around the outside of the jar if this works out.
Bought small 1/2 gallon goldfish bowl at the store.
Dumped huge LTA in it (roughly 8"++ disk when fully open plus tenticles).
Then put sand around it in scoops but it wasn't attached to the bottom so it floated a bit to the top.
Funny how it looks like it fills the bowl here.
f03adba8f3be6d0d57174e4c023793a4.jpg
alt="" />
Me for the sand.
cbef15145d0b3c74f4ba56fbe3daa45e.jpg
alt="" />
8ef3b2c4768abe58a13cd21a8ea51080.jpg
alt="" />
3025b77f7aae20d126f299743aaa7692.jpg
alt="" />
Now into the tank for it to sort things out a while.
5eeacb3659a1ef7b7f2928a72d8a43f3.jpg
alt="" />
d62e802243c6151cad450b929e738069.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well after 7 hours it's getting better but lights were out so wasn't expecting a lot. Should go faster once they come on.
Here's after 6 hours. Luckily it didn't jump out and fry a frag tank full of frags lol. Whew so far!
260664bb7233f76fddaadd276aa77602.jpg
alt="" />
a9758061d40866159edf3a8318bba410.jpg
alt="" />

Here's a pic of what it looked like in the display for about a year (I literally stuffed it into a rock to get it to stay.
It's at the bottom right.
98b128a1f0773270f8b7a68d479aea1c.jpg
alt="" />

And one of it in the remote frag tank deep sand bed where it spent the last 18 months or so.
52e6b6f59a50769b8353ee41660b030c.jpg
alt="" />

Hey Rusty, I'm very interested in how this works out for you.
I have a 4-5" that just won't stay put. Every time she's anchored down I've made sure the sand depth is 4-5" locally around her but no dice and it moves. My lighting was higher and I've turned it down some and reduced the flow too. Right now it keeps settling in under rocks and it's getting frustrating. Color is still good so I have some hope.

Once settled, mine always stayed put until there was a lighting or flow change. At which point it would bounce around for a couple weeks. I didn't have as much sand as you till later on and even then it moved about 6" once.
Updated pic. I think I'll add more sand soon.
b0afeba1f540c07a66bb865c7be52b82.jpg
alt="" />

Most of my bed is about 2" or less but an engineer goby has piled it up up in spots. I've also added some fine sand in a couple spots but it keeps moving under rock structures. I don't think my light intensity is too hight.
Kinda stumped on what to do next till I saw this.

outdrsyguy1;1100071 said:
Once settled, mine always stayed put until there was a lighting or flow change. At which point it would bounce around for a couple weeks. I didn't have as much sand as you till later on and even then it moved about 6" once.
Updated pic. I think I'll add more sand soon.
b0afeba1f540c07a66bb865c7be52b82.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOT
Off subject but one of the lta ive gotten from you has split three time in a year beautiful pieces good luck i hope it works out for you

Hehe grants Willie but that was a bta (bubble tip). I don't believe Long tentacle anemones can split ;). Glad it's doing well!
I think I have 6 and I just sold 3. Mine are all smallish though. But this LTA is a monster. Hope this works out!

Sand settled so I decided to add more tonight. I think it needs to be near the top of the vessel so tentacles don't get stuck inside. It was a little difficult since anemones natural response was to balloon up when sand landed on it. Probably take one more fill. We'll see.
Here's tonight's before and after.
2440f38510b0d3afa75f3c0b9a458b30.jpg
alt="" />
bdae2c8da33d9584d654a7ae8238d035.jpg
alt="" />

Interesting idea. So if this works and it stays put, you will add the glass bowl into your main tank?

Seems to have settled in now. Keeping my fingers crossed. I need to move it into more light and flow before it gets grumpy with the corner.
The foot has almost spread across the whole bottom and overall it looks like a bad wig on display lol.
882402c0b111586fa6ea7cdb4cf029cc.jpg
alt="" />
d49afde52b0f945c2935dd63935b5f22.jpg
alt="" />
6545c787d7ab57763785f045d341e35f.jpg
alt="" />

Good idea. I hope it works for you. Did you think this up on your own or did you see it elsewhere?

Anit/Adam has been having some trouble getting his LTA to settle down. I sent him the link.

Interesting.

For what it's worth, Long-Tentacled Anemones (Macrodactyla doreensis) usually like their foot on a smooth surface. In a tank with a sand bed, I would move the sand away and expose some bare glass where I wanted the anemone to stay. A PVC 'collar' on that spot sometimes helped too.

No guarantees but it worked quite well for the most part.

Jenn

Mine has always moved the sand away and attached on its own but it wouldn't stay long if the sand wasn't deep. They also try to make room and move things in their way. I saw mine once move a 5+ pound rock and crush a coral colony. It will blow up then give on powerful pulse like squeezing a balloon on one end. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I never would have believed it. Moved the boulder about 1" and crushed a large purple didgi that was on top near some other rocks.
Moved it to better light and flow today. So far still good. If it stays a few more days I may move to DT.

Well as these things tend to go the LTA decided to "exit the vehicle" last night and found it entwined in a bunch of frags this morning. I'm going to try setting it in the bowl and see if it will burrow down with the power heads off. If not I'll dump the. Sand and try again. I'm wondering if I moved it into the flow too much.

After about 4 hours low flow it buried it's foot and planted it on the bottom of the bowl. I'll try to be in gentler flow when I move to more light.

outdrsyguy1;1100474 wrote: After about 4 hours low flow it buried it's foot and planted it on the bottom of the bowl. I'll try to be in gentler flow when I move to more light.

Let me guess - foot on the smooth glass?

LTA prefer smooth for their foot.

BTA, on the other hand, like their foot in a crack or crag in a rock.

Jenn

Cool idea... reminds me a bit of Ralph's temporary wrasse bed for QT'ing them, hope it works.

I was wondering if the sand will turn hypoxic/anaerobic because of reduced flow? If it does, would it hurt your 'nem?

Back