Luke's 250 Gallon DD Build

Luke what are your thoughts and experiences with running pellets?

Also, what t5 bulbs are you running?

John, so far are experience is good. On our other tank, we were constantly at 15-20 ppm NO3, after three months of use, our nitrates went down to about 5ppm. On this tank, our nitrate levels are very low.

The bulbs are two coral plus and 6 purple plus. When I switch out in a couple months, I will be trying a majority white light from the t5s.

Four new coral additions!

First is the Palmer's Blue
image.jpg1_zps3rhv7fja.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Second is a special edition Tyree Pimk Lemonade
image.jpg2_zpsnuwuc8qu.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Third is a frag of Rainbow Echinata from BSA
image.jpg3_zpsvb9mze8f.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Lastly is a 5 polyp frag of Ompa Lompa zoa
No pics

Introducing the soon to be newest fish addition to the tank

image.jpg1_zps3s1awi8f.jpg
alt="" /></a>

This fish is currently in qt. if all is well, I plan to have it in the tank in about 1 month.

Those Tideline 48" are beasts! Really nice equipment/plumbing set up.

Really impressed with how clean the sump area is even w all the plumbing and equipment. I am curious what you do to maintain ventilation in the stand. This is me assuming that ur sump is housed in a sealed stand under the tank

Kirkwood;1073281 wrote: Really impressed with how clean the sump area is even w all the plumbing and equipment. I am curious what you do to maintain ventilation in the stand. This is me assuming that ur sump is housed in a sealed stand under the tank

Yes, the sump is inside the stand. There is a hole cut in the back of the stand, but not much air flow. I try to leave the stand doors open to release some of the heat and humidity buildup. I plan to add a fan in the stand to circulate the air better.

Small update

New vortech schedule

Looking to get new t5 bulbs in the next month or so, and also reprogram the radions.

Here's what I'm looking at doing for t5 from front to back
D-D Midday, lagoon blue, aqua pink, pure actinic, lagoon blue, midday

Lagoon blue may need to be subbed out for the D-D aquablue bulb

Stay tuned, the blue tang will be in his new home soon:)

Here is the vortech schedule.

The units are on anti-sync for the gyre and short pulse setting.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1075667=66721-image.jpg
>
1075667=66721-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

looking good!
very nice clean build. (closes his cabinets of pvc goodness)

i had 2 tangs, a wrasse and a watchman goby in my tank (265) and it wouldnt accumulate nutrients enough for the corals.

surprised you are employing biopellets on your 250 with essentially 3 guppies.

Russ-IV;1075671 wrote: looking good!
very nice clean build. (closes his cabinets of pvc goodness)

i had 2 tangs, a wrasse and a watchman goby in my tank (265) and it wouldnt accumulate nutrients enough for the corals.

surprised you are employing biopellets on your 250 with essentially 3 guppies.

Yea, at first it seemed like a good idea for the bateria to colonize, but seems I'm having more problems than expected.

I've been busy trying to get rid of the hair algae and balance out the parameters. On Saturday 3/12/16, I did a 40 gallon water change and cleaned out the sand bed. After the water change, the sand bed looked a lot cleaner, and the water removed was pretty dirty. Yesterday, I did another 40 gallon water change, this time cleaning out all the junk built up in the sump, including a bunch of powder from the biopellets. Now there is a filter sock at the output of the reactor to help collect some of the debris.

Also, the blue tang was added Sunday, and 5 minutes after being added, he went to work picking algae off the rock and sand. :)

Caught a pic of my wellso wide open this morning
image.jpg1_zps1ebplu1m.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Here are some pics of some of the coral
image.jpg2_zpsg2vdxojz.jpg
alt="" /></a>

image.jpg6_zpsfjcszxxb.jpg
alt="" /></a>

image.jpg7_zpsabxi9juu.jpg
alt="" /></a>

image.jpg3_zpsp6ty0u7l.jpg
alt="" /></a>

image.jpg4_zpst1woiyw6.jpg
alt="" /></a>

image.jpg5_zpsjjpp1wsv.jpg
alt="" /></a>

image.jpg10_zpsbjwyowk7.jpg
alt="" /></a>

image.jpg11_zpszdmouvco.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Update

Today I started the shallow reef setting on the radions. I am starting at 50% power with the lights coming on at 9 am and turning off at 10pm.

Here's a quick video of the tank with the new settings.

Sorry for all the glare on the glass

<!-- gcu-updated ame -->https://youtu.be/Sy_AevA-MDc<!-- gcu-updated /ame -->

So is purple plus a more white I was thinking of running one in the white spot and running 2 blue plus in the blue spot I have a 4 bulb fixture what do you suggest it's my only light on a shallow 1ft deep zoa garden

Back