M.e.k.

photokid

Market
Reaction score
methyl ethyl ketone has anyone played around with stuff? i read on nano reef that if you mix it with acrylic chips it makes something close to weld on adhesive.

For all practical purposes, it's the same chemical as acetone, just a tiny bit less volatile.

I'm guessing the MEK dissolves acrylic forming a gel. Then you use is to glue acylic togeter. The MEK will vaporize overnight, forming a "chemical weld" between the acrylic. Give it a shot. Just don't have any open flames nearby!!!

Or you could just use weld-on.

its one of the key ingredients in weld on i just wondered if the other stuff in weld on makes that much of a difference.

photokid;246696 wrote: its one of the key ingredients in weld on i just wondered if the other stuff in weld on makes that much of a difference.

I dunno about that. Weld-on is pretty cheap, so I'd stick with that unless you have a huge project in mind.

Mixing weld on with acrylic shavings makes it thicker too and draws the acrylic closer to each other while it cures.

MEK is NASTY stuff. We used it on airplanes in the Air Force, and the MSDS had a whole list of crazy bad things that can happen to you. The Air Force stopped using it and replaced it with somethign else. All I can remember is people hated working with it.

I agree with the last post. I have worked with it extensively as a quick drying solvent in industrial ink applications. It is very bad if you work with it a lot. It also will take paint or almost anything off of a hard metal surface. It is chemically breaking down the acrylic and just like superglue if you get it to where you need it quickly it will dry and form a bond with whatever it is pressed to. This will work but, may have mixed results if you don't manage a clean application of the MEK to the acrylic.

My big warning is that I really really would not feel safe with this chemical anywhere near water or livestock. It is VERY quick to dry, but I would spend excessive amount of effort in making sure I rinse the area well if it will be used for holding water and livestock. Good luck.

I was told this stuff would remove old silicone residue, but it doesn't work as well I as I had Hoped..

Back