Machine Wash Felt Filter Socks on Septic System

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
I have always been very careful about what goes into my septic system, so I do not dump saltwater, and have never washed filter socks in the wasing machine before and only used mesh socks. If I blasted solid particulates out of clogged felt socks prior to washing them in the washing machine, do you think I could wash felt socks in the washing machine without adversely affecting my septic system?

I did it for a few years and it hasn't hurt mine. We have been here for ten years and never had a problem with our septic.

rdnelson99;995131 wrote: I did it for a few years and it hasn't hurt mine. We have been here for ten years and never had a problem with our septic.
The enzymes in mustard ensures a healthy drain field!

I would think that running a load of clothes would contribute more fiber to the system then a few socks would. Then chances are it would settle out in the tank, where it can be pumped out with the other solids. That being said if it is a concern, when looking into greywater systems, I've read about a filter that you can put into the discharge side of washer to catch all that stuff.

The enzymes in mustard ensures a healthy drain field!

True dat!

septic tanks are 2000 gallons before going into the leach field. You wouldn't want to dump 200 gallons of felt sock sludge but what little comes out of a few pre rinsed filter socks would do no damage.

Back