Macro Algae stopped growing -- strange

geno

Market
Reaction score
I have a basket ball size wad of Caulerpa growing in my refugium -- up until about a month ago every time I did a WC (every 2 weeks) I had to rip out a few hands full to keep it under control.

I've noticed in the last month or so that it doesn't seem to grow as fast as it once did -- is that a good thing or bad?

I tested my water today using an API kit (I know, not the favorite of many) but it's the only kit I have that will test phosphate. My reading today was near 1.0 -- the highest it's been since I set up the tank over a year ago.

I don't have an algae problem -- in fact I recently reported that my blenny seems to be getting a bit thin.

I did some research and found recommendations to use PhosBan in a mesh bag in the the sump -- any thoughts here?

Sure appreciate your observations,
-gene

Thanks Barbara -- I know I can always count on you. I appreciate your contribution (as always).

No changes to my routine -- I even check my RO/DI water now and then to ensure that my filters are still performing.

Hey, I just can't figure out your avitar -- what is that picture -- a dog or cat laying on it's back?

check it with another kit if you can. That's high for Phos. Do you have any SPS that aren't doing well or browning out? How long has it been since your changed your refugium light out? Those should be changed too for best performnace.

I agree with all that Barbara said but it seems like everything is normal and there hasen't been any changes.

There may not be a problem if the test kit is off. GFO won't hurt at all but be carefull adding it. You need to do it slowley and in small amounts. I would start out with 1/4 the recomended amount for a month or so and then step up to 1/2 for another month then 2/3's, you get the plan. Reducing Phos too quickley will stress out your SPS and kill Acro's quickley. If you do plan on running GFO check it out at BRS. They have the same German GFO but in larger quantities and smaller prices.

Good luck!

Thanks JAustin! Good advice on reducing the phosphate.

I have not changed the lights in the refug -- and they have run 24/7 for 14 months

I think you're right -- 1st step is to test with another kit to ensure I have a problem. Frankly, matching colors is difficult for me since I'm color blind. I usually have my wife match the colors.

Back