Mag 9 big enough?

james s_

Market
Reaction score
Im going to have to put my 265 gallon water tank in the garage in my basement,since the tank wont fit through any of my doors.I was going to originally put it in the fish room but I just dont feel like taking out any windows on my house in order to do that.I have a Mag 9 that I was thinking about using for mixing the salt and pumping water over to my sump for water changes.It is around 30 feet over to the fish room,and about 8-9' vertical rise to the floor joist .I used the RC head loss calculater and it said that the head loss would be around 10-11'. The pump should produce around 386gph to the sump. Im going to be using 1" pvc over to the fish room.

So my question is has anyone used a Mag pump in this type of situation? I have only used them on small returns into my tanks. About 99% of the time it will be used for a closed loop in the water tank,but on occasion it will need to be strong enough to pump SW over the the sump.Is this pump strong enough?

It is not going to be enough. I own a mag 9.5 and getting very little flow at 12'. If you're not in a rush to get water to the top then it's fine, you'll just get alot of heat, but if you're expecting it to get there in a jiffy then get a mag 12 or higher.

I'd disagree with the head loss calculator's accuracy. You've got 8'-9' vertical rise plus, it then hast to push the mass of water 30'. I wouldn't be surprised if it only burbled a little water. Plus, you have to figure all that back pressure isn't doing any favors for the pump's life.

If you want to do this, I'd suggest a pump like an Iwaki RLT head pump.

Got ya.I figured that much,I was hoping to save some $$$.I guess I can try it once just for the hell of it and see what it does.I will start looking for another pump that will be more efficient and can handle some head.Im going to run a Switched circuit to the pump in the garage also so I can turn it on and off from the fish room.
Any suggestions on a good pump for this? I would like to stay around 100 watts if possible or as close to that as possible.

EDIT.......A Mag 12 would probably be fine for what I need if the Mag9.5 doesnt cut it.The Iwaki pumps are a little too pricey.

They got some pretty serious discounts going on, on this pump and you should take a look at it. I've just bought one and it works as if it's build in Japan. This deal probably won't last very long.
Prod_Display.cfm

$10 off? Doesnt seem like that great of a deal.I will look on RC and find one.Thanks

You can get a GenX PCX-40 for $20 more than a Mag 12 that has a 22' head vs. the Mag 12's 14' head.

MRC has a discount on them. Not sure if it works out to a better deal however.

Thanks for the Advice guys.I will try the Mag pumps first and if they dont work well then I will look at getting something else. I will end up getting a Genx PCX-40 or an Iwaki.

Back