Mag/Calcium/Alk tests

bkostuch

Market
Reaction score
So I am using the Red Sea test kit and I seem to not really understand the results. The way I read it tonight was my Mag is at 800 and calcium is at about 300. LFS tests higher with Red Sea kit, 1100 mag and about 380 calcium.

I have started dosing as well so I and slightly clueless here. Is there a better way to gauge these parameters, maybe a different kit?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bkostuch;1040418 wrote: So I am using the Red Sea test kit and I seem to not really understand the results. The way I read it tonight was my Mag is at 800 and calcium is at about 300. LFS tests higher with Red Sea kit, 1100 mag and about 380 calcium.

I have started dosing as well so I and slightly clueless here. Is there a better way to gauge these parameters, maybe a different kit?

Thanks

Imo the Red Sea test kits are the best ones out there. If you want to try something different maybe the hanna checkers, they give a digital readout

Your numbers are low but that is a good test kit. There are instructions in two places, the cards don't give as much info as the booklet. The test is only as good as the tester is in following the instructions. Sorry, not trying to sound rude, really it's just an exact...picky... test to get good results!

Try repeating the test paying close attention to drops, shaking and time limits. If it's still off, you could take it to the LFS where you purchased it and ask them to test your water with it for some in site?!?

Camellia;1040427 wrote: Your numbers are low but that is a good test kit. There are instructions in two places, the cards don't give as much info as the booklet. The test is only as good as the tester is in following the instructions. Sorry, not trying to sound rude, really it's just an exact...picky... test to get good results!

Try repeating the test paying close attention to drops, shaking and time limits. If it's still off, you could take it to the LFS where you purchased it and ask them to test your water with it for some in site?!?

+1

test kits are only as picky as the tester. if you are slow and thorough, you will be more confident. I also like to cross check with another test sometimes if something seems out of wack.

API may not be the most accurate but its a quick marker to get an idea of where you are. Then you can deep dive with a red sea / pro kit.

seems like the only discrepency is the magnesium kit.

if the magnesium is a red sea pro kit, you are supposed to do reagant A 5x after tritating. not just 1. (which can be overlooked on the card)

I did both way, reading thoroughly the first time in the instructions and then cards. I agree the numbers are low either way, the color changing to blue has always got me wondering, I have issue with color blindness on dark colors so I think that also is throwing me off a hair. I'll run through it again this morning my self and also take it to the LFS and see what they get.

bkostuch;1040438 wrote: I did both way, reading thoroughly the first time in the instructions and then cards. I agree the numbers are low either way, the color changing to blue has always got me wondering, I have issue with color blindness on dark colors so I think that also is throwing me off a hair. I'll run through it again this morning my self and also take it to the LFS and see what they get.

Brent, I have the same issue (colorblind) and the best option I found was the Hanna Checkers. They are quick, easy and accurate (it's nice to find something in this hobby that's works like that's). I just wish they would come up with a Mag checker. :)

Okay so I verified my dark colorblindness. I was showing 800 mag and had the LFS test twice by separate people and it came back as 1400. Either that or I am just plain crazy and didnt do the test right :)

bkostuch;1040691 wrote: Okay so I verified my dark colorblindness. I was showing 800 mag and had the LFS test twice by separate people and it came back as 1400. Either that or I am just plain crazy and didnt do the test right :)

Well you might be just a tad bit crazy. Lol. J/k definitely not nearly as much as I am. Did you by chance test the same sample as you took to the LFS? Was it two different LFS's? I took a sample in to a LFS a while back and their mag test came back at 850. I went home had the wife do the test (with my help) and my mag was at 1390 ish. I took another sample into another LFS and their test came back at 1380. It's possible their regent was expired. Just my 2 cents.

Different LFS nearly same results. Same sample.

Hate to say it, then most likely it has something to do with your test kit (bad regents) or a user error. :(. Take it with a grain of salt though please.

I really like the Seachem Lab Reef status Test kit. It's been pretty accurate for me. However, it's the only one I've used, so I can't comment on whether it's easier than the rest of them out there.

Yup I feel it's either me or the kit as well

bkostuch;1040766 wrote: Yup I feel it's either me or the kit as well

Next time you come over, bring your test kit with you and I'll try it out. We will see if I come up with the same or different results (I'm definitely not saying I can figure it out, lol). But, I'll give it a whirl. Also, you could always order more regents and try those out as well.

Great 2 color blind guys trying to get accurate results. Jk I'll do that, I am going to start fresh tonight again and see what I get , nice and slow.

bkostuch;1040770 wrote: Great 2 color blind guys trying to get accurate results. Jk I'll do that, I am going to start fresh tonight again and see what I get , nice and slow.

Lol I'm red/ orange /yellow. I think your blue/green right? Between us I think we got it! Lmao I'm kind of feeling a little "special" right now!

The colors stated on the cards for the red sea pro kits for Calc mag and alk are not a good representation of what the end colors should be try watching their videos to get a better idea on how to run the tests. They can be found on this Web site just scroll down a bit.
a>

I just started this year replacing test kits with Hannah checker its so easy and accurate , well worth the investment.

LocalPref;1040831 wrote: The colors stated on the cards for the red sea pro kits for Calc mag and alk are not a good representation of what the end colors should be try watching their videos to get a better idea on how to run the tests. They can be found on this Web site just scroll down a bit.
http://www.redseafish.com/videos/">http://www.redseafish.com/videos/</a>[/QUOTE]

Performed the Mag test again today and looks like it was user error, my test came back 1400. Slow and steady did it...:thumbs:

The Red Sea mag test is the worst. You really need to take your time with that one, or something can easily go wrong

Back