Magic lube

fidofence1

Market
Reaction score
I had 5 pumps that weren’t working even after I soaked in vinegar and cleaned. I ordered some Magic lube and all 5 are working good as new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9e34d16239e0f9ea663ca7e4e53d7072.jpg

Details man, details. Sounds like something I'd really like to look in to but I'm curious how you went about this. Did you open the units up? Or apply to just the magnet? I've always assumed when one stopped working, it was a problem internally and it wasn't something I could just crack open and expect to maintain any kind of waterproof seal on.

Usually there is a problem with build up on the shaft (metal or ceramic) if the magnet/ propeller does not spin easy the motor will not run. My guess is the lube is placed on the shaft. I’m curious what the lube is made of and if there are any negative effects to livestock?

Usually there is a problem with build up on the shaft (metal or ceramic) if the magnet/ propeller does not spin easy the motor will not run. My guess is the lube is placed on the shaft. I’m curious what the lube is made of and if there are any negative effects to livestock?
Me too

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Here is a description...
Aladdin Magic Lube II 5 oz. Silicone Lubricant Sealant 651 Magic Lube II is a silicone lubricant and sealer formulated for use under the most adverse conditions. Magic Lube II has been USDA H-1 rated to be environmentally safe and is completely waterproof and chemical resistant. It is an extremely durable synthetic compound for use on valves and other special applications when the added protection and lubrication of silicone is required.

This product has a USDA H-1 rating but I would not use it in my reef tanks.

Last edited:
Below are links to the Material Safety Data Sheet for Magic Lube II (product #'s 650 & 651), as well as a product cut sheet following that.
The MSDS states the following-

XII. ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
Possible Effects: unlikely to act as marine pollutant.
Behavior: Relatively well behaved. Bioaccumulation potential nil.
Environmental Fate: Highly unlikely to cause widespread contamination. Nontoxic to marine or land organisms.

Take out impeller and plug in the pump and hold impeller to the outside of the pump and if it makes a noise like it’s trying to spin the pump is still good. Remove rubber gaskets from impeller on both ends and put the silicone on shaft and put gaskets back on. Plug in pump and put impeller back in and parts back together and it should be good to go.

I admit it... when I saw the title of the thread I had my doubts. I've got a few pumps I might try it on. Appreciate the suggestion!

I bought it off Amazon for around $10.00 and it saves hundreds of dollars worth of pumps I was about to throw away

If using this on a pump to lubricate a shaft/bushing, applying the bare minimum would still be advisable.
I'd use a toothpick, cotton swab, or similar disposable implement to apply it.
Do not get it on your hands, in eyes or mucous membranes (consider using disposable gloves), if possible.
Wash hands with soap & water thoroughly after use.
My $0.02

If using this on a pump to lubricate a shaft/bushing, applying the bare minimum would still be advisable.
I'd use a toothpick, cotton swab, or similar disposable implement to apply it.
Do not get it on your hands, in eyes or mucous membranes (consider using disposable gloves), if possible.
Wash hands with soap & water thoroughly after use.
My $0.02
Why? The msds shows that this stuff is not very dangerous in any way. Its just silicone grease

If you look under the ‘exposure’ section, you will see otherwise.

Silicone is a compound containing silica, which like carbon is tetrahedral (has 4 bonds). Silicones have been shown to be absorbed into the skin. They also pose a hazard to eye tissue as well as can cause upset stomach, vomiting; or in people with sensitivities may cause allergic reaction.
Example: Ask the women that had silicone breast implants that ruptured and/or developed severe health problems as a result of use and/or allergies.

Further, their msds does not offer any evidence of studies showing it to be safe to marine organisms. It only states that it has low toxicity and is ‘unlikely’ to cause harm. This is a sort of trick manufacturers use, as long as no known toxicology studies have been done and the compound is used according to its label. The oceans offer an extremely large dilution probability, if this substance were to be used in or spilled into the sea. That’s their logic. Not aquariums.

Of course, someone could put some directly on a Walt Disney acro & let us know how that goes? (Don’t try this at home! I’m kidding)

If you look under the ‘exposure’ section, you will see otherwise.

Silicone is a compound containing silica, which like carbon is tetrahedral (has 4 bonds). Silicones have been shown to be absorbed into the skin. They also pose a hazard to eye tissue as well as can cause upset stomach, vomiting; or in people with sensitivities may cause allergic reaction.
Example: Ask the women that had silicone breast implants that ruptured and/or developed severe health problems as a result of use and/or allergies.

Further, their msds does not offer any evidence of studies showing it to be safe to marine organisms. It only states that it has low toxicity and is ‘unlikely’ to cause harm. This is a sort of trick manufacturers use, as long as no known toxicology studies have been done and the compound is used according to its label. The oceans offer an extremely large dilution probability, if this substance were to be used in or spilled into the sea. That’s their logic. Not aquariums.

Of course, someone could put some directly on a Walt Disney acro & let us know how that goes? (Don’t try this at home! I’m kidding)

Read into it what you like. Better to be safe than sorry i guess

You can also use food safe silicon spray lube. I use it on gaskets all the time.

I use a VERY small amount of a NSF rated silicone grease on RODI & reactor o-rings as well as on the seals of pumps. Never thought to put any on the shafts of the pumps. I would be concerned with thermal and sheer breakdown of the grease in that application though. If it was the same tiny amount I use on the seals it shouldn't be a problem. But if a good amount was gobbed in there it wouldn't surprise me if it caused some type of negative reaction to the livestock over time.

If there are any questions on this product why would anyone want it in their tank? We do so many dumb things that cause thousands of $$$$ of losses of our fishes and corals. To save a $200, 5 yr old pump that may last another 6 months, you gamble problems that could destroy your tank. I like the idea of asking BRS, they haven't let me down yet.

Holly, that's exactly why I have used Eheim pumps as my returns, for 30+ years.
They have never let me down/failed.
Those ceramic shafts & bushings are the reason & the water acts as a lubricant.

Back