Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Magnetic in-tank scrapers are really expensive. I resisted for a long, long time but finally broke down a few years ago and bought one. It's was a Mag float and I was kicking myself for not getting one as soon as I discovered them. I mean, cleaning the tank became SO much easier and quicker. Fast forward to today and I've been thinking about getting a Flipper. I procrastinated for a while but finally got one and I'm really happy I did.

Both product are great but I find myself using the scraper 90% of the time and I prefer the Flipper because it has little stand offs so only the blade and two small plastic pieces are touching the glass. With the Mag Float, the scraper is always used in tandem with the scrub pad. In my experience this can lead to more unintentional scratches. The Flipper also isn't as "strong". You might find this annoying but I'd rather have a weaker magnet that requires 2 passes to remove hard algae over a super strong magnet that is harder to drag across the glass. This is my opinion and you're may differ but one thing's for sure: Even though they're expensive, every one I've ever used has been well worth the cost.

With that in mind, which one do you prefer? Magfloat, Flipper or some other one?

I've got both a MagFloat and Flipper. I use them equally on my display tank. Ease of use depends on the size/ magnet strength.
Originally I had the large flipper and the magnet was too strong for the glass thickness, making it very hard to operate. If I had to choose one it would be the Flipper.

I use a flipper on the 60gal and magfloat medium size on my 30gal. Both work well and both seem to have equal potential to scratch the glass if you aren't careful(especially when scraping around the sand).

I have magflow and it is great. I use blaze to scrape to remove tougher algae.

Back