makin waves

glxtrix

Market
Reaction score
So I was thinking of adding some type of wavemaker to my system. I was wondering if anyone had/has/uses the wavemaker pro? What are your thoughts on this product? I was also looking at the Ocean Pulse Quadra Wavemaker. Both pretty much the same, but the WMPro has a few more reatures. I'll be running MJ1200's with this setup. Any thoughts/comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lee

glxtrix;84920 wrote: So I was thinking of adding some type of wavemaker to my system. I was wondering if anyone had/has/uses the wavemaker pro? What are your thoughts on this product? I was also looking at the Ocean Pulse Quadra Wavemaker. Both pretty much the same, but the WMPro has a few more reatures. I'll be running MJ1200's with this setup. Any thoughts/comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lee

what size tank?

140 but at only 55" in length. The MJ's are going to be modded.

For that size tank, I would seriously consider tunze..... If not WMpro is probably the better choice.

yeah I'd consider Tunze but my wallet is telling me other wise, esp. with the purchase of a new house. What and how many Tunzes would reccommend? Oh yeah and this tank will be mainly SPS and not to mention I already have 2 Seio 820's....not the best in a large application, but not too bad either.

This is what the guy at the ARC meeting recommended to an alternate to Tunzes. I may grab a few my self. he said one for every 20 gallons of water. Well after reading, some had great success with wave makers and some haven't. So it's worth a try.

a>

I was sold on tunzes a long tiem ago, yes they are expensive, but well worth. You have two options if you want to go tunze route....

You can either get a wavebox (500+ bucks) actually if I remember right, someone here was selling one for 450(if they still have it and if you think it is too much, pm me, maybe we can work something out)....... and just use the seio's along with it and not worry about a thing....

Or get 2 6101's which will be more expensive than one wavebox.....

7 in my tank??? that sounds a bit much. If these put out as much as the others that would be around 9800gph! heh, that would be pretty sweet tho, lol. I've ordered some of the MJ mods that Cam posted, I'll see how those work out, if they arent all that great I can always try something else. I think this might be the best bang for the budget buck right now. Now to find a controller that works nice is the next step. Anyone have a wavemaker pro they want to sell?

yea the site says 1200-1400gph per kit. So I don't think 50 is needed. Mods will work well for you.

too bad they didnt list the price, I'd love to know what they are selling for. I'm almost certain tho that most of the MJ mods are going to be rated around the same. It'd be doubtfull that someone would make a kit and have it be underpower to the next...noone would buy theirs.

It's all the same kit. Just different people. You'll have no problems with flow in your tank. If you can find a soft start wavemaker then you may be ok. I think the reefkeeper2 has 3 different wave programs and soft start. Just throwing it out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLPmea2II-A">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLPmea2II-A</a>

The new Vortechs are the answer! The pumps interface with each other through some wireless protocol, no controller needed. They actually ramp up and down and you can change the frequency till you get the wave you're looking for. So they give you flow, and a wave pattern so you don't need a tunze wavebox + powerheads. Another + is the little to no heat added to your system and look less bulky in the tank. Plenty of negatives though as they are noisier, you can't direct the flow, and of course the price!

That being said I've got 2 and love them even though they aren't perfect. I don't think there is a perfect flow solution to be honest. I was planning on a closed loop but there are so many negs with that as well. Tunzes of course are the industry standard for good reason. I moved away from them though mostly because of aesthetics.

I think the best bang for the buck is the tunze 6025s. You seem like the do-it-yourself kind of guy and you can mod those to give you anywhere from 600-1200 gph. I had mine on a 30 minute timer when I did use them and they worked great with a fairly wide flow pattern. Flow was definately more narrow than the larger tunzes but still much better than a maxi. I've seen them sell for as low as 55 new.

I have some of the Mj mods coming so i'll see how they hold up with power and pattern. If they work for my needs, I only spent about 28 per. And not to mention they are notorious for being a pump that will take abuse and hold up to the switching current. Just to find a used wavemaker pro to test and see if I like it. Other option would to get a reefKeeper II and set a few things up thu there. I know they have a wave program like the wavemaker pro, does anyone know how many pumps can be ran on the RKII with that wave program?

I used to have the maximods. I'm not a fan though because the washers they use wear out so frequently. Also, maxijets can be turned on/off with wavemakers with no issues. However, maximods aren't designed for frequent switching as the prop will wear out quickly due to constant contact with the bumper. Basically, they're not recommended for wavemakers unless you don't mind replenishing the parts with some frequency.

Even though they are pricey I added one Vortech to my tank with my CL. No more MJ, Mod Tunzes etc. I've probably spent enough money over the years on MJ etc to buy several Vortechs.

These things are great and customer service has been great.

But if you're interested I think I have the parts to mod one MJ. JLMK

Back