Making an action figure tank safe?

jgeorge06

Market
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience making action figures tank/reef safe? I'm getting back into the hobby, and am going to have my 65g set up in my game room, which has a Star Wars theme. I'm going back and forth on what to do in the tank, but I'm almost certain I want to have some figures or a medium - large fighter (x-wing, tie, etc) in there with the live rock. Is my best bet to spray it with a clear sealant or is there a better method?
4ec362d901949a2e5ebca5c11988e1b3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Don't put Chinese toys in your tank , no telling what's on them or holding them together . I'd recommend the tank safe ones sold already and save yours. Or maybe hang the real ones above the tank and use the tank safe ones inside . Kinda simulate an air battle with ships crashed on the bottom .

There is a clear sealant you can coat them with. I recall another member doing something similar a few years ago. I tend to think it is risky, but it supposedly works.

Here, someone wrote an article on it-

https://fishlab.com/aquarium-safe-paint/

FWIW- The Krylon-For Plastic, likely has a chemical additive specifically to help the spray adhere to the plastic. Therefore, less likely to come off, and may be more $$.
I've used the Krylon Fusion a lot for priming models and miniatures for games, good to know that is safe for inside the tank. It's a fantastic spray, and worth the price.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

@godawgs24 also has experience with heavy metal contamination in his tank that caused quite a bit of coral damage. I believe his was due to neodymium magnet breaking down but I'd still get his input for sure. Seal it up with krylon and get a few ICP test kits to send off every few months.

@godawgs24 also has experience with heavy metal contamination in his tank that caused quite a bit of coral damage. I believe his was due to neodymium magnet breaking down but I'd still get his input for sure. Seal it up with krylon and get a few ICP test kits to send off every few months.

Yea I for sure wouldn’t put anything like that in my tank. Metal in your tank is a bitch. I lost close to 6k in sps between my 3 tanks due to metal contamination.

There are several folks on FB that actually sell Star Wars and other related reef safe ceramics. I have an R2D2 and millennium falcon myself, was like $22 for both and got 2 R2s in the buy. Think his name is Derek Hopkins on FB.

Back