Making Frags

ecreel1

Market
Reaction score
So I have had my tank up and running since May of 2012. I have sps that need to be frag and some torch corals they are about to split. SO I need to know suggestions from you guys what is the best way to learn how to frag. I do know that Fragging can be dangerous and to wear gloves. But how did everyone else learn how to frag? The torch corals I am confident in fragging when the time comes but the sps are on rocks and have no clue... Any pointers or tips or class suggestions would be helpful!

:up::up::up:

I accidentally knocked into an SPS colony with my glass scraper. Viola'! Frags.

JayU;841561 wrote: I accidentally knocked into an SPS colony with my glass scraper. Viola'! Frags.

LOL. You too????

Or for SPS you can go to the drug store or grocery and buy a pair of stainless steel bone cutter (toe nail cutters). I bought a small one and it works great for clipping frags off SPS.

my pump crashed (first time ever) on my Red Dragon on Ash Wedesday, lol....more than frags, lol....I almost cried!

ok, not really, but you get the picture....

I have a red planet right next to where I put my Mag 9.5 when I pump water out for a water change. I usually break a piece or two off on accident once a month or so.

So instead of a pump why not siphon. After all we all know both of you suck. Hehehehhehe

rdnelson99;841651 wrote: So instead of a pump why not siphon. After all we all know both of you suck. Hehehehhehe

Ha! I break things when I siphon too. I did a great job of making my tank ultra fragile. Its a pita to clean without making frags.

:) i'm much more careful with other people's property. I think I subconsciously frag when I clean.

I've always to used a small flat head screw driver and just broke a piece off work pretty good.

what everyone said.

And for plugs, I buy a piece of lace rock and smash it up with a mallet, I like the look of natural rock and it's much cheaper. I use regular superglue on the frag and it works fine and dandy.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=366&pictureid=2300" alt="" />

I want to frag this zoa out of these palys but im scared I'll kill it and it is the only one.
I do have a sterile packaged scalpel and blades though

I've fragged 10 zoas or so and have done great with all of them except ones that looked like that. Tried three different times, and killed them every time. Your mileage may vary, but wanted to throw that out there :)

JDavid;841983 wrote: http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=366&pictureid=2300" alt="" />

I want to frag this zoa out of these palys but im scared I'll kill it and it is the only one.
I do have a sterile packaged scalpel and blades though[/QUOTE]

the only way i would risk getting that zoa out of the pack of palys is with a bandsaw. if you dont have access to one ask really nice at your lfs and they may help you out.:up:

Edit: or if you dont want the palys you could just use a ton of aptasia x on them and kill them off to let the zoa spread just be carefull not to get any on the zoa

Thank you everyone for the ideas!! I am going to try a few of the different methods. I also do it where I am doing a water change and I'll knock one or two off. I want to try the natural rock way rather then plugs. It was funny reading about you guys jabbing each other... I hope to get to make it to a meeting one of these days!!

Back