making live rock

gaguy68

Market
Reaction score
what is the best way for taking dry dead rock and making it live? how long does it take to cure and live?

Here is my advice from someone with about 200 pounds of homemade rock.

DON'T!

Sooner or later it will crumble.

Sorry misread the post lol.

The way I did it was put a few pieces of rock for seeding in with the base rock and the live sand, powerhead for movement and lights.

It may not be colorful for a while but the seeds of life will work their magic in short order

If it still has dead debris on it, you might bleach it a few days. Pure bleach, (nothing that foams) and water, then soak in fresh water a few days, then a second fresh water soak using lots of Prime Dechlorinator, then its ready to go in your tank.....

you'd mentioned making live rock coloums at one point, I have some heavy weight cardboard 4" to 5" diameter tubes at work that would be perfect for that..... Portland cement, vermiculite and some argonite sand, and we could make you some man made rock one weekend.........

Let's do it!

To make the rock porous...i have heard of salt being used. What kind of salt? Anyone know?

Actually, instead of salt. (Reef salt to be certain) what if while constructing the rock forms, you mixed it with ice? I've worked with concrete, I know you actually have to work concrete to prevent voids and gaps.
I know ice would quickly melt, but might well possibly last long enough to create voids/porosity in the concrete.

What ya think?

the ice might actually work but wouldn't that then add extra water into the mix which would then soften it and cause the voids to close and fill in again???

im thinking if you make your mixture...form it up how you want it...then as its setting push in ice cubes and then they will dissolve and melt out instead of melting while setting up....not sure that made sense

OR...

you know how when you were a kid and made sand castles by taking the wet sand and dripping it through your hands and made those funky looking towers??? i bet that would be cool if you could get the right consistency. One thing to avoid though is handling the wet cement for very long, it can give your skin a nice burn.

Just to set the record straight... i am NOT wanting to make my own rock... i want to buy dry dead rock from somewhere and seed it to get it living

Heres a great place to order dead rock from. Under FAQ they even tell you how to cycle it.
a>

Back