making your own salt mix.

au01st;517681 wrote: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Pocket-Scales-Jewelry-Scale/dp/B001PUE244/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1275400910&sr=1-7">http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Pocket-Scales-Jewelry-Scale/dp/B001PUE244/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1275400910&sr=1-7</a>

Scale[/QUOTE]

I have something similar to that that weighs up to 50 grams. I used it to weigh out medications when I imported discus. What I need is an inexpensive, but accurate scale for weighing out the intermediate/bulk chemical weights, with a range of a couple ounces to 10 lbs or so. Figure I'd mix up 25 or 50 gallon lots of the stuff.

Bulk/intermedate use chemicals

2302 g <span style="font-family: Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">sodium chloride/82 oz/5.13 lbs</span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">483 g </span><span style="font-family: Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">magnesium chloride/17.24 oz/1.07 lb</span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">385 g </span><span style="font-family: Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">sodium sulfate/13.74 oz/.86 lb</span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">110 g </span><span style="font-family: Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">calcium chloride/3.9 oz/.24 lb</span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">67 g </span><span style="font-family: Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">potassium chloride/2.4 oz</span>

that scale only does 0.1 though...looks as if you would need one that could dip into the .001 range

Well, had an email from the chemical supply company. The entire order was cancelled because they only sell to schools or universities that can provide a W9 form or something like that.

This order was for the Minor use chemicals.

I couldn't even order sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) or boric acid (roach killer)from them!

I'll check out other online cources and report back.

Dave my mom used to make homeade soap and even had her own biz here in town. I know she had the hookup on some chemicals. I'll try to call her in a min and get some info. If we are still having problems obtaining some of the chems i know she is clear to get them. She got alot of wierd stuff but i dont know if she was dealing with these chems. Its worth a shot

I haven't had time to check other sources. Maybe this is the reason there is very little info on making your own salt mix, becasue a large part of the components are Hazmat classified. Even if I could get them, EACH chemical is subject to a $22.50 special handling charge via the carrier. It may be so expensive for the average Joe to buy the chemicals that it is not financially reasonable. You could buy a LOT of salt for the amount you'd pay in Hazmat fees alone.

I have managed to locate ALL the chemicals for the formula.

I was looking to buy from a single source if possible to avoid multiple shipping fees, but online companies don't want to sell to individuals, schools only.

Took a bit of digging, but many times you can find the same things. For example: as an individual, you cannot order potassium bromide from Cole-Parmer, but you can order potassium bromide from B&H, an online photopraphy supply company because it is used in picture developing.

My initial cost was more than I thought. Not by a lot, but economies of scale come after you mix more than one batch because many of the minor use chemicals will last a couple years before needing replaced, with sodium chloride, magnesium chloride, and sodium sulfate the chemicals you use the most of.

I should have everything I need by middle of next week. Then I will mix my own and use it in my 60 gallon Reef tank.

Back