Mandarin and Pipefish feeder

dawgface

Market
Reaction score
So, I've got a 40 gallon tall set up for seahorse in which I quickly found that species only was not my thing. So I began to make preparations for adding a mandarin and possible a pipefish. With all the necessary items to begin to culture copepods I ordered the starter batch of three different species.

Along the way I had planned to plumb in a large refugium to keep a constant stock but ran across a thread online for a feeder. Which is basically is just a line above tank ran down to a screened in closure. Brine shrimp are poured into the feeder above tank which gravity feeds down into the tank. Brine shrimp being attracted to light travel to the screen area where they are held back from escape, obviously need to use the right sized netting for this. Mandarins, dragones and Pipefish see them and are able to see and thus suck them threw the screen.

Boom, works wonders! Now have 2 Blue Manadrins, Red Scooter, Ruby Red Dragonet, 2 banded pipefish, 2 Dragonface pipefish and finally a newly emaciated Spotted Mandarin that I saved from Petco.

With all of these in a 40 I am still culturing pods with regularity as well as hatching brine almost daily but still worth it Imo.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1100519=69017-20161101_165032.jpg
>
1100519=69017-20161101_165032.jpg
class="gc-images" title="20161101_165032.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1100519=69015-20161102_132738.jpg
>
1100519=69015-20161102_132738.jpg
class="gc-images" title="20161102_132738.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1100519=69016-20161102_132744.jpg
>
1100519=69016-20161102_132744.jpg
class="gc-images" title="20161102_132744.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1100519=69018-20161102_132755.jpg
>
1100519=69018-20161102_132755.jpg
class="gc-images" title="20161102_132755.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Jesse that is absolutely amazing. Do you have the link for the instructions on setting it up?

Exactly what I did in my tank. It works great for wrasses, anthias and chromis as well. I used an ehiem auto feeder to add brine eggs every 6 hours, this ensures a constant supply of baby brine and less work for me.

As long as I remember to clean the screen every week or two it just keeps working. I got a pound of brine eggs and Ive barely made a dent in it after a year.

As for instructions, you can find them if you search PaulB and brine feeder on reef central.

EnderG60;1100525 wrote: Exactly what I did in my tank. It works great for wrasses, anthias and chromis as well. I used an ehiem auto feeder to add brine eggs every 6 hours, this ensures a constant supply of baby brine and less work for me.

As long as I remember to clean the screen every week or two it just keeps working. I got a pound of brine eggs and Ive barely made a dent in it after a year.

As for instructions, you can find them if you search PaulB and brine feeder on reef central.

And a step further.... just simply genius!

What portion do you suppose your auto feeder is dispersing daily? What do you use for the initial collection cup of the eggs?

As for the feeding part with mesh I had some leftover sieves I had from previous brine shrimp hatching.

Bought them here.
a>

Oooh Im gonna get me that screen. Ive been using pantyhose and replacing it every week or two lol.

anyway here is my thread from a long time ago.
showthread.php

i wonder if the back flow is absolutely a requirement. I think it would increase the hatch for sure but the eggs do sink and from there the htach would be closest to the screen and thus drawn there.... Im going to attempt this. Just need to make a bigger tubline for egg transport and the buy a new auto feeder.

Egg shells and unhatched eggs just sit at the bottom of the container until you change the screen and clean it out. One of the main reasons to do it every week or two.

The water flow does 2 things, transports the eggs down to the hatcher so they dont just sit at the surface and it keeps the water in the hatcher fresh.

I think the eggs are sinking due to the flow. Just like a traditional hatchers, eggs float unless the water is too turbulent. My thoughts are to use a square funnel like the picture. Place it an inch into the water so there's always water at the base where there's enough room to have both empty shells floating and new shells entering without too much disruption.

21bT6rlk3xL._AC_UL320_SR316,320_.jpg
alt="" />

Picture this funnel with an auto feeder mounted in the middle. I'll then fabricate another removable square plastic piece that would cover and completely back out the auto feeder and entry point so shrimp would not be attracted up and countinue on down to the feeding station.

I think this will still require regular cleanings but may help keep it a little less frequent as well as remove the need for plumbing flow to it. At the end of the day my system being so small a simple aqua lifter would be more than enough flow and virtually as simple as what I'm thinking without flow.... hmmmm may just try it to try it.

oooo where did ya find that and what are the dimensions? I just have a small plastic kitchen funnel lol.

This is actually a pic of a big one. I ordered a few from Amazon hut really had trouble identifying all the dimensions. Once they come in hopefully it will work or Im still searching.

If push comes to shove I have been trying to find an excuse to get me a 3d printer.... maybe this is it.

Dawgface;1100708 wrote: Thanks bud, long time since I've seen your name pop up. Hope all is well.

Yea been busy man try to jump on from time to time. You know how it is!

Back