Mangroves

I keep a few. It doesn't do much for nutrient removal, but they look pretty and pods grow in the root systems. I keep that instead of cheato

hzheng33;1065541 wrote: are you guys keeping them in some sort of substrate?( sand, mud, etc) I keep mine under regular reef light and afloat. for some reason it's withering

+1
Not really sure what is required to keep a healthy mangrove.

Eco, any advice,
Would love to see pics as well

I'll take a few pictures when I get back home after the holidays. I keep mine suspended in water with no substrate. I use egg crate to keep them upright. They are in an all in one system , do I just place them in one of the empty chambers. I bought them as pods about 4 inches a while back when I was getting back into the hobby. They are over a ft long now, and pretty leafy.

I have 10 in my refugium section along with some chaeto and grape caluerpa. They are in CaribSea mineral mud. Fuge is on a 20 on 4 off lighting schedule with a 6500k LED bulb.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

100%hydrophylic;1066198 wrote: I keep a few in my refugium. they are planted in about 8 inches of substrate.

Mangroves prefer to be planted in some kind of substrate. Most of their nutrient uptake comes from the very fine, hair like roots that grow off of the thicker roots, and you wil get much more of the finer root growth if they are planted in substrate.

I also would recommend spraying off the leaves with RO/DI water to remove salt buildup once a week or so.

What substrate are you using?

So would like a 5gal bucket with live sand in a sump work well? What type of lights do you guys run over them?

Back