Mantis Shrimp

zanski

Market
Reaction score
Okay so this guy has to be a mantis shrimp. So I grabbed the rock he pokes his head out and threw it in a fresh water bucket. How long until he dies. He hasnt come out of the rock like I had hoped...

i think you should put the rock out of water and over a bucket. then he will crawl out and fall into the bucket. worth a try

Well I dont know what to try now. I did the fresh water dip for 15 MINUTES!! I felt for sure that he would jump out so I could grab him or at worst kick the bucket. Well put the rock back in the tank and sure enough he was poking his head out laughing at me when I got home. I wouldnt be so mean to him (trying to kill him more than get him out of my rock) But he has killed 4 crabs and ive had enough. Anyone wanna come throw back some beers and help me grab him and find a new home at the same time??

P.S. I really need ID help. I'm not 100% sure on a mantis, he is LONG I saw him stick out atleast 2 inches tonight when I fed to grab some food. He is JET black.

See thats whats has me going nuts... This guy has the huge bubble like eyes, two feeler fan like ant. and the front "arms" are folded backwards like a prang mantis then he reaches out and they unfold and he grabs food. I have never seen anything like it.......

When I caught the rock mine was in I put it in a 20 gallon tank and had myself a species only tank. It was plenty of fun.

Try seltzer water. The fizzing is supposed to drive them nuts and make them flee the hole. I've heard hyposaline works also- 1.040SG.

DannyBradley;142812 wrote: When I caught the rock mine was in I put it in a 20 gallon tank and had myself a species only tank. It was plenty of fun.

Try seltzer water. The fizzing is supposed to drive them nuts and make them flee the hole. I've heard hyposaline works also- 1.040SG.

I will give that a shot. I cant believe he survived the bucket o' fresh water...:doh:

Ya, I know of a school looking for a Matis shrimp, so if you get him out alive, I know of a home for him!

Zanski;143011 wrote: I will give that a shot. I cant believe he survived the bucket o' fresh water...:doh:

They survive being shipping dry, in the heat, for weeks.

is there any way you can get a pic of him, i haven't seen a black mantis. if you can just buy a cheap 10g tank and put the rock in there. When you feed the tank he should come out and like said before just grab the rock.

but really, can you get a pic?

download

Try dragging the picture over to the box below the thread post. I had trouble in the past trying to do an attachment.

That is a Mantis...I've never seen-or heard of--a black one before.

Back