Mantis Shrimp

Where do these guys come from? I had the rock for over a yesr and NEVER noticed him or had any crabs come up missing.

Zanski;143264 wrote: Where do these guys come from? I had the rock for over a yesr and NEVER noticed him or had any crabs come up missing.

They live in and under the rock-I'm surprised that you didn't hear clicking as he carved out the rock. They're very good at hiding--they'll actually use shells to create a 'door' over their little cave and seal themselves in the rock--that's probably what he did when you soaked the rock in fresh water.

tnyga;143326 wrote: Killer!! Killer I say!! :)

:bash: Bad boys, Bad boys whatcha gonna do!!:bash: I took the rock out and gave his hole a seltzer shower out he popped!! Or maybe it was the HOT!! water comming out of the sink..... lol I know, im a murderer. But, he was killing my crab buddies!! Also, I saw his exit hole and he had pieces of crab shells jammed in the hole. Interesting little ****!!

:party: :party: :party:

Anyone who wants one just order you a bit of Tampa Bay live rock. Almost promise you will get a few!

I spent months trapping and finally removing 7 from my old tank several years ago!

kwl1763;143340 wrote: Anyone who wants one just order you a bit of Tampa Bay live rock. Almost promise you will get a few!

I spent months trapping and finally removing 7 from my old tank several years ago!

Got me beat---I'm only up to 5...so far!

Wow..That is a nice slasher....Not a smasher like most I have seen..

No doubt though..If you want one..Order some rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater...About 95% of ppl I know that has gotten rock from them has had mantis..

Heres the sad part.

While Mantis shrimp are a dime a dozen the black mutation only happens about 1/4,000,000,000 times and there is a waiting list for them.

Current asking price 4,500.00

Looks like you just killed your lottery ticket :/

J/k

Seedless Reefer;144007 wrote: Heres the sad part.

While Mantis shrimp are a dime a dozen the black mutation only happens about 1/4,000,000,000 times and there is a waiting list for them.

Current asking price 4,500.00

Looks like you just killed your lottery ticket :/

J/k

lol too funny...

Holy ****. my stomach just turned. For the record, we did try to save it and keep it in my tank that is empty, just got a bit carried away trying to get it out of the rock.... one man's junk in another mans treasure.....:doh:

Ha. just saw the J/K. i bet thats how those poor saps felt when they saw they had all the numbers BUT the power ball the other night. Wha Wha Whaaaa....

Natty;144050 wrote: Ha. just saw the J/K. i bet thats how those poor saps felt when they saw they had all the numbers BUT the power ball the other night. Wha Wha Whaaaa....

It's like seeing those clips on America's Funniest Home Videos where someone is given a fake winning lottery ticket as a prank. I feel for those guys... what a nasty trick to play on someone! The person who did that to me better be wearing protection; he'd get a swift kick to a delicate area...

Actually he's called a White spot. He has a white spot just by his ears. They ARE a smasher you can clearly see the nob to the left in the third pic. If that was a slasher a barb would be seen at the end of the tip and their claws are as long or longer than their bodies. They only grow to be a MAX. of 2" because very few smashers grow larger than 3-4" most staying between 1-3.

Those little guys are incredibly common out of Florida. I've keep three and my LFS normally has them for sale in little betta tanks. They are pretty docile. Mine never came out of their holes but looked like little gophers. they only time I saw them out was grabbing food and cleaning out their rubble piles. Thats normally how you can spot if you have one in you tank, by looking for little piles of rocks outside holes.

As far as the freshwater thing, people used to keep them in goldfish bowls. They can stand pretty lousy water conditions and near dry conditions for a while. Obviously hypersaline, and H202 wouldn't be very natural survivable condition.

They have been recorded as one of the fastest animal and certainly one of the most powerful/size. Once a smasher has grown larger than 5-6" their smashing power could match that of the force of a .22 gunshot. They are also remarkable puzzle solvers and do recognize faces.

A really good method to catch them would be to cut off the top of a 20 oz coke bottle and invert it back into the bottle so you have a funnel. Lean it upwards slightly against the rock close to it's home baited with food. Smasher's prefer live crabs, so throwing a few of those guys in there would be a regular buffet. They normally end up staying in the bottle until morning.

Back