Manual Dosing Cal and Alk... what brands?

tonytran509

Reaction score
So like you guys know im the new guy... and starting to understand all this more... So I'm looking to manual dosing CAL and ALK for stability... what do you guys recommend me getting?

How big a tank? I've got @190 gallons in three tanks, I use Seachem Reef Fusion 1 and 2. It's been fine for a year and a half but I haven't had much SPS, I'm getting a little more and what I have is growing so I'm thinking of switching to BRS 2 part.

Are you testing calcium, magnesium , and alk frequently? That will tell you when you need to start dosing

Not yet but i just ordered a full kit to test it all and should be testing frequently starting next week, i just wanted to get the stuff before hand so that I have it before something takes a turn.

Not yet but i just ordered a full kit to test it all and should be testing frequently starting next week, i just wanted to get the stuff before hand so that I have it before something takes a turn.
Ya nothing wrong with being prepared. Just make sure you test before you start dosing so you can figure out how quickly these elements are being depleted. That will help you figure out how much to dose. Then test to make sure your are dosing the right amount

Ya nothing wrong with being prepared. Just make sure you test before you start dosing so you can figure out how quickly these elements are being depleted. That will help you figure out how much to dose. Then test to make sure your are dosing the right amount

Thank you, i will do that... i plan on take test throughout the first week and marking it all down.... then figure out what to dose you will hear from me if i cant figure somethign out lol

How long has the system been up and running and do you have any stony coral yet?

I'm doing BRS 2-part since so many have had success with it.

anyone local that sells this?

I don't believe so. It's a pretty good deal for what you get:

There are DIY recipes for this using chemicals that you can find on Amazon or some local hardware/pool stores. The concern is that there maybe contaminants or other chemicals that may be harmful but I never had a problem. You just have to make sure to read the MSDS data on the chemical. When I was 2 part dosing, I used food grade calcium chloride (for making beer or pickles) and sodium hydroxide (caustic lye) that I got from Amazon. For magnesium, I got the BRS magnesium chloride and mixed it with epsom salt from CVS. Since Im using a calrx, I havent had the need to use the calcium chloride and sodium hydroxide anymore but I still use the magnesium recipe.

I don't believe so. It's a pretty good deal for what you get:

I also use this

I’m going to side with Dave @dball711 on the 8g B-ionic. You’re obviously a fish guy, and you have at least a small storage area for fish stuff if it’s good quality and saves money.

ESV B-ionic is, I think, one of the better quality products on the market. Naturally, you will
pay a more for it. However, years ago, they began selling it in larger 8 gallon volumes (4 gal calc + 4 gal Alk). And dropped their per oz price significantly. I believe this “per oz retail price” still competes for cheapest on the market. However, I haven’t re-evaluated the market in a couple years so I could be wrong.

Regardless, it’s assured as a good product at a good deal if getting the 8g pack. Worth consideration.

the tank has been up more than a month, have only a few stony coral frags in there, but will eventually get more thats also a reason why i wanted to ask the question
I don't think it's time for you to worry about dosing much yet, if at all. With a tank that's only a month or two old and only has a few stony frags in it, weekly water changes should be more than enough.

Buying the things you will need ahead of time is always good and all of the products listed are very good too. Once you start testing and see what you're dealing with you'll know when it's time to start dosing. You'll need to get into a rhythm testing and get the procedures down. Then post up your results and you'll get right right info from members here.

I don't think it's time for you to worry about dosing much yet, if at all. With a tank that's only a month or two old and only has a few stony frags in it, weekly water changes should be more than enough.

Buying the things you will need ahead of time is always good and all of the products listed are very good too. Once you start testing and see what you're dealing with you'll know when it's time to start dosing. You'll need to get into a rhythm testing and get the procedures down. Then post up your results and you'll get right right info from members here.

Hey tony; 100% this.

I was too exhausted and didn’t think clearly before giving you the recommendation. B-ionic is great. But you won’t need it yet.

Back