Mapleredta's 20 gallon build, needing tips, advice, and some encouragment.

mapleredta

Market
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to read my build thread. This will not be a fast thread because, 1. I am going to be working with a tight budget unless I hit the lottery or some how find a bag of money and 2. Everytime I try and rush and do something, it never fails, I always screw up something. Now for the plaining stages. The main thing that I want to keep are going to be SPS's and a pair of Onyx clowns or maybe a pair of Picasso's and a Fire tip anemone. Harleyguy, that one you have is beautiful and I fell in love with it.

Id love too be able to have a HUGE beautiful tank like some of the members here, but that isn't an option due to space and money. (many of you can relate.) I believe the perfect size tank for me and what I want to do with it in the future is going to be a 20 gallon long. I know the smaller the tank the more difficult it is to keep the water parameters in check. I am willing to try and tackle that.

I recently ran into a small set back with system I purchased. (Joe, if you read this it was a pleasure to meet you and thank you for helping me tear down the tank.) As of right now, I have approximately 40-50 pounds of live rock in a rubbermaid bin cooking. I really LOVE the look of the black sand in a tank. I know it can be a pain in the #$* to keep clean, there again, im willing to tackle that issue. I have a mag 9 I believe and a ro/di that I plan on replacing the filters and using on this build. Ive been thinking about having Glasscages.com build me a custom 20 gallon long. Probably going to go with Starphire glass panels on 3 sides.

As far as the overflow box/boxes, im not sure what I want and what would be a better path to travel. (One of the many, many things I am going to need help with) Lighting is also in the same boat as the overflow box location. Should I go with T-5's or MH's or a combo of both? Possibly a retro fit kit or a fixture? Skimmer and sump size are going to depend on my stand measurments. Im going to try and pack as much in there as possible.

Arc, I am asking for your help and guidance to be able too build a small piece of my dream tank.:up: Im sure I left a lot of things out of this and if/when I am asked I will do my best at answering them or asking you for advice. Thank you!

T5's:thumbs: Not just because I have them, but also because the heat from halides will warm up a 20G pretty quickly.

I have an Aqua C Urchin skimmer if you need for a decent price...

If I ever get my tank upgraded, we might be able to work something out if your interested...

rostato;274625 wrote: T5's:thumbs: Not just because I have them, but also because the heat from halides will warm up a 20G pretty quickly.

I have an Aqua C Urchin skimmer if you need for a decent price...

If I ever get my tank upgraded, we might be able to work something out if your interested...
Yeah im really leaning towards the T5's. After seeing your tank is with the SPS and that beautiful clam, im most postive that is the way I will go. Keep me posted on the bow front. Any idea what you want for the Aqua C? The guy with me this morning needs an HOB skimmer.:up:

I have a 20L and I love it. I'm going to take some heat for this one But I have an Aquaclear 30 HOB, No skimmer, no sump. I only use the sponge and carbon in the filter. I have a Current Nova Extreme 2x24. I recently added a couple SPS frags and they are doing well. I do have them placed within 4-5 inches of the light. I want to upgrade and build 30 cube, so my whole setup may be for sale soon.

Sorry rostato not trying to sabotage your sale. Just started typing before reading your posts. Really.

No worrys lee.

Now that I think about it. I wouldn't use a skimmer on a 20 g tank either. You will need to do more frequent water changes and make a skimmer not nessesary...helpful but not nessesary

I had a Current nano skimmer and it worked but with the amount of air bubbles it was not worth fouling up my display. I don't think anyone reallly makes a good HOB skimmer for something that small. The Aqua C's are really good but I would just rather keep up with my water changes than have a monster hanging on an otherwise good looking tank. Aim a powerhead at the surface and it breaks up the surface scum. I probably will never use a skimmer until I go 55g. or larger.

Im still on the fence with the skimmer/sump. I think it would be a good idea to have the extra water volume.

mapleredta;275003 wrote: Im still on the fence with the skimmer/sump. I think it would be a good idea to have the extra water volume.

Yeah extra water volume is always good.

+1 Get some local help with a fuge and get some macro going. Absorb the nutrients and have more volume for more water quality fluctuation. Meaning a little will be less of an impact on a larger system vs smaller water volume where small fluctuations mean more polutants for the overall system
LeeS;275065 wrote: Yeah extra water volume is always good.

I posted already...just put some ro water in the buckets untill all the algae dies off, and then cook in saltwater for a while. I think tossing rock because of the SLIGHT chance something might be wrong is just silly.

If you need I can lend you a copper test kit and a tds meter, although the copper test kit is WAAAAAAY old.

I have some other opinions about copper that I would rather keep in PM...

rostato;275380 wrote: I posted already...just put some ro water in the buckets untill all the algae dies off, and then cook in saltwater for a while. I think tossing rock because of the SLIGHT chance something might be wrong is just silly.

If you need I can lend you a copper test kit and a tds meter, although the copper test kit is WAAAAAAY old.

I have some other opinions about copper that I would rather keep in PM...
Thanks Chris. Im going to drain the water tonight and at least do Distilled water in the tote.

Well, called Glasscages and they said it wouldn't be worth putting an overflow on such a small tank due to cost. Also said they can't ship VIA UPS. so, back to finding a tank.

Just get one at petsmart, and drill it out the back for an overflow. saves space (which you need) and does the job...

I am sure someone here would drill it for you for a price so you dont have to muster up the cash to buy the bit.

rostato;276034 wrote: Just get one at petsmart, and drill it out the back for an overflow. saves space (which you need) and does the job...

I am sure someone here would drill it for you for a price so you dont have to muster up the cash to buy the bit.
I do already have the plumbing from my broke 20L .
>How can I get the bulkheads out of mine

Back