Maple's official 90 gallon reef tank build.

mapleredta

Market
Reaction score
My tank originally was in the hands of Dawgdude. Rostato bought it, and I bought it from Rostato. LOL. Amazing how tanks get around in this club. I can't recall if Charlie purchased the tank new or if he too got it used. As of right now my equipment list consist of:

Sump: A 30 gallon sump
Skimmer: Elos ns-1000 being pushed by a Ehiem 1260.
Lighting: Retro fit T5's powered by a IC660 overdriving four bulbs and a ballast (unsure what brand) running the actinic bulbs.
Heaters: Two aqua heat's
Return pump: Mag 9 (if I am not mistaken)
Powerheads: Two MP40w's
Live rock: 70lbs (give or take)
Live sand: 60lbs (give or take) Appears to be Fiji Pink
Test kits: Elos
Rodi: AWI 75gpd (currently looking for a booster pump)

Future plans consist of:

Controller: Either an Apex or a Profilux
ATO: Elos or JBJ
Ca Reactor or dosing 2 part BRS

Fish list: If I have the money, I really would like the platinum pair of clowns that Tim has at Keen Reef and hopefully they will host my GBTA with purple tips. (10" or so open)
Moorish Idol- I want one so bad!
To be continued.

I am going to attempt to make this tank a full blown reef. This will be my first attempt at this so get ready for the questions!

I will be updating this as I go, so please, ANY help/tips/tricks/criticism is wanted!

Crappy little video clip taken with my cell - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMFsydul5ho">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMFsydul5ho</a>

When Rostato cleaned it up from purchasing it from Dawgdude-
[IMG]http://i32.tinypic.com/wi954j.jpg alt="" />
Pre sand change-
23ijbqa.jpg
alt="" />
GBTA-
2d6qhec.jpg
alt="" />
Tank as of now - (nem needs lost a lot of its color due to me having to do a emergency transplant into the cycling tank. Seeing a very nice improvement of color within the last two weeks.)
5voynm.jpg
alt="" />
2yn04fc.jpg
alt="" /> Nem is glowing in the dark lol.:doh:

Jealous, of what? LOL. I know they are VERY hard/impossible to keep. God I love them though. :(

Looking good! I love the rockwork. I'm looking forward to following this thread. Nice job!

Thanks Ralph. I am going to try and grab some pictures with my camera later this week.

3321flw.jpg
alt="" />
2eaudlc.jpg
alt="" />
Added my first round of livestock! 'Dori' will NOT leave the clowns side. It's awsome.

*Not pictured is my cleaner shrimp that I purchased too.

Due to the move from last weekend, diatoms have started back up. :(

Now I have heard it all. They are hosting a tang.
Just kidding. Nice open layout. That tank is going to have great flow through it.
Spotted the shrimp in the last pic

Smoothie;523348 wrote: Now I have heard it all. They are hosting a tang.
Just kidding. Nice open layout. That tank is going to have great flow through it.
Spotted the shrimp in the last pic
I was watching them yesterday in between my girlfriend painting, the little one would try and swim across the tank and finally he would run out of strength and get shot back across the tank. :lol2:I finally turned down the pumps until they get used to it.

Some better pictures, finally.
maf6tl.jpg
alt="" />
288bod5.jpg
alt="" />
289y00.jpg
alt="" />
2957i84.jpg
alt="" />
(went missing 3 days afterwards.)
241165l.jpg
alt="" />
My baby hippo who thinks she's a clownfish.
339ip3l.jpg
alt="" />

Hey, looks good so far. Do me a favor and post a pic of your sump setup. I'm trying to get ideas so I can build one. Thanks, Russell

Today is day number three that the tank has been covered. My first attempt at fighting cyano. I took a peek in the tank with my $10 Advance Auto LED flashlight last night and it appears to be working. Corals all still colored up too. I lost my first cleaner shrimp after the third day. Bought a large sized one when I went back up to Creation Reef along with a tiny emerald. He never came out of one spot, I pretty much gave up hope on him and with that, my desire to throw 35 bucks down the drain again. Well, sure enough, he was no where to be seen. :( I fed the tank, emerald crab came flying out of no where to get the pellets that hit the sand. Low and behold, his partner in crime (my 35 shrimp) was hot on his trail. THANK GOD!!!! I screemed like a little school girl when I seen him. Overall for a young tank, it's slowly coming along. My GBTA is growing/coloring up by the day!

EDIT: Ruscar, I will take some pictures for you tonight. Got to do some wire tucking and salt creep cleaning first. LOL

wait like a little school girl, hmmm thats what i have you in my phone as lol

gt6188a;536207 wrote: I love your clown fishes.
The female will allow me to pet her nose. By far the coolest fish I have ever owned.

I've asked for help with my issue with particals of debree/food/sand/etc.... being suspended in the water column. Well, I changed my skimmer section of my sump around last night. This help cut down on more of the tiny bubbles and to make it easier on me to swap the filter socks out. Hopefully I can start replacing them a lot more frequently. Also allowed for more flow through my sump it appears. I vaccumed out most of the 'crap' out of the sump naturally my skimmer is acting up now. I just had it dialed in the way I wanted it and now I have to redo it. :doh: Still trying to win the battle with my Cyano, i've got red and even some green cyano growing. If anybody would like some, you're more than welcome!

Fish and coral seem to be making it along nicely. My cardinal fish sure roam around the tank, NOT! Can fish get cramps? Surely from being in the same spot they do. haha

Back