Maple's official 90 gallon reef tank build.

DrNecropolis;536258 wrote: What do you think is causing the Cyano Chris?
From the hours I have spent researching this crap, the only thing I can come up with is that it's a new tank that I started from scratch. No live rock, no live sand. I stuck base rock in the tank and sand from a friend who broke his tank down. People say that it is 'normal' for a new tank to go through those phases. I will do some testing tonight and get all my parms checked again.

I have also had outbreaks of it in EVERY new tank I have setup..

Just wondering if maybe you had an idea it was something else..

DrNecropolis;536267 wrote: I have also had outbreaks of it in EVERY new tank I have setup..

Just wondering if maybe you had an idea it was something else..
Nope. But I am open for ideas on things to check. I have brand new bulbs/good flow/a skimmer that's well capable of the tiny load I have/ and feed lightly in my opinion. My light schedule is from 3-10:00. I did a three day lights off, tank covered attempt and that really helped. I did a water change afterwards and tried getting as much off the sandbed as I could. It seems to be decreasing SLOWLY.:doh:

I had a severe case of it in my 180 and tried everything I could (except chemicals) and finally covered it with wrapping paper for 3 days and it was gone.. Never came back.

I'm not saying that's the way though.. In my case it was a last ditch effort..

Always best to find the root of the problem rather than treating the symptoms.. (Not saying your not.. Just clarifying)

DrNecropolis;536302 wrote: I had a severe case of it in my 180 and tried everything I could (except chemicals) and finally covered it with wrapping paper for 3 days and it was gone.. Never came back.

I'm not saying that's the way though.. In my case it was a last ditch effort..

Always best to find the root of the problem rather than treating the symptoms.. (Not saying your not.. Just clarifying)
Agreed. I REALLY upset one of my SPS corals doing so too. It's trying to make a recovery.

Well, yesterday one of my cardinals was no where to be seen. This morning still no sign of her. My first fish loss, really a bummer.

DrNecropolis;536708 wrote: Aww man.. No es bueno.. Maybe it will turn up.. :(
I've pretty much already wrote it off. I will replace it with two more sunday. Maybe one of your idols too.
ajrt3t.jpg
alt="" />

Rob, thank you for taking care of my other mistake too!

my cyano went away all the sudden but a few days later it came back in totally different areas wierd huh.

Smallblock;536794 wrote: my cyano went away all the sudden but a few days later it came back in totally different areas wierd huh.
Again, from the research I put into this topic, it simply may be a stage that all new tanks go through to completely mature. I've got more than enough flow, a good skimmer, new bulbs and really don't feed in excess. That's the only logical thing I can grasp.

Well I haven't really done too much for the tank since my last update. I did however do some new testing with my elos kits but forgot the paper with my results. :doh: Not to mention my prized Moorish idol is now the king of the tank.

I'd like to give Blake (smallblock) a HUGE thank you for looking after the tank for me this weekend. No casualties to report, so I guess he did alright lol. Tank hasn't had much going on lately. I am trying to let everything settle down and wait on the algae to subside. (which it appears to be doing, thank God.) I did a water change, roughly 25 gallons or so. Took the opportunity to vacuum the overflow, refugium, return section as best as I could. I noticed the cleaner shrimp molted for the first time! The GBTA ate a good size portion of the frozen shrimp. Frags look to be doing well and I can sorta notice a growth in them.

Some crappy pictures of the tank.
25s3jiw.jpg
alt="" />
29naqva.jpg
alt="" />
euk9pc.jpg
alt="" />
As you can tell, I am still battling cyano and a small amount of hair algae is developing. I am going to try and get my el cheapo phosban reactor up soon to help me battle this crap. It's really causing me to lose interest in the tank.

Oh, I have since named the moorish idol Maria since she always seems to be in pictures too. The idol wouldn't not get out of the way when I try and take any pictures. LOL

Blake, eat your heart out with that rose, sucka....

mapleredta;551889 wrote: Thanks Eric. I really hope I can get that crap under control so you don't see me parting it out.:lol2:

What are the nitrate and phosphate levels at?

EANDREWS;551892 wrote: What are the nitrate and phosphate levels at?
The last testing I did (about a month ago) the nitrates were a zero. I do not have a phosphate kit yet.:doh:

mapleredta;551896 wrote: The last testing I did (about a month ago) the nitrates were a zero. I do not have a phosphate kit yet.:doh:

i bet you have some phosphates in there... that would be my guess, I did in the 125 and its not even stocked yet. I got some seachem from Jenn and it knocked it out in 3 days..

EANDREWS;551898 wrote: i bet you have some phosphates in there... that would be my guess, I did in the 125 and its not even stocked yet. I got some seachem from Jenn and it knocked it out in 3 days..
Oh I am sure of it. I do weekly water changes but I haven't really noticed it receding.:doh:

Back