Maroon clowns

popsbjd

Supporting
Reaction score
I noticed several people mentioned maroon clowns in the problem fish thread. I've been planning my stock list for my 120 and had a pair of lightning maroons on the list. I know they are feistier than percs or ocellaris but are they the monsters they are made out to be? Is that more a result of having them in tanks that are too small or too crowded? Do they get aggressive with other fish (because even my percs and ocellaris would bite the **** out of me when cleaning the tank)?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have 2 - one in a 30 cube and one in a 120.

They are both very mean to me - neither bother anything else in the tank. I have to put the one in the 30 in a quarantine net if I'm going to be working in that tank. The one in the 120 I can get to leave me alone if I just rest a large net on top of the rock he sleeps next to.

The one in the 30 has a host anemone - the one in the 120 does not.

They are smart too - if I wear a glove, they'll wait till a part of my arm that is not covered hits the water and bite me there.

That has always been my understanding if the temperament. I'd figure a 120 would be plenty of space for the pair and leave more than enough escape space for anything that might wander into their territory.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I use to have tomato clown that would attack me every time i put my hand in the water, I don't have him anymore............................

I have a pair of ocellaris that try to kill me every time i stick my hand in the tank. They arent aggressive towards any of the other fish tho

i had a mated pair of maroon clowns and they never bothered me much maybe i got lucky

it was a 90g reef and i had 2 square anthias and 2 chromis and 1 yellow tang they never bothered any of my other fish

Can't speak directly for maroons but, if you've never been bit by a clown, I can tell you it isn't a pleasant experience. It isn't unbearable or overwhelming but it does hurt.

I can tell they have teeth when they find a sensitive spot. One of ours has broken skin on my finger

It’s more the “thump” than the bite itself. No matter what I’m never ready, it startles me and I splash water all over the place.

Back