Mean sailfin tang

jwevans79

Market
Reaction score
I've got a 75 gal mixed reef with a sailfin tang that is harrassing other fish in the tank (fang blenny, bicolor blenny, royal gramma, flasher wrasse and spotted mandarin). Should I add another tang to distract him or take the sailfin out of the tank?

wow, my sailfin is the most social and friendly fish in my tank, except he does eat like a monster...lol. Is yours getting a complete diet?

he's about 3.5 inches

when i feed, he's the first to eat. he won't eat a lot of vegetable matter. he loves flake food.

that tank is too small for a sailfin. You definately don't want to add more tangs. I'd reccomend moving him to a larger tank.

Sailfins are my favorite tangs by far but they can be a lil mean. They start to get really mean though when they feel cramped. As you can see they start to get a lil aggressive which is simply their way of trying to chase them off so they can get more space.

I use to have one in my tank and gave it to a good home as I could no longer house it. I still miss that fish though, he was my first tang and one of the few fish I actually named. :sad:

I have mine in too small of a tank, I was hoping to have my larger tank set up faster, but I watched him at the LFS for weeks and one day I was offered a good deal and I took it...but I have not noticed any mean behavior. he'll pace the tank with my clowns, and swim through the rocks with my 6-line. I regret keeping him in my tank, but he is by far my favorite fish I've ever had, and he has not shown me any signs of stress. Just my experience if its worth anything.

After thinking a lil about it. I do remember my sailfin being a lil meaner when he was hungry. Instead of flakes I would recommend clipping some nori in there for him to browze on all day. This would give him something to occupy his time and also they need to graze to be happy. He may just be attacking his tankmates because he wants the flake food all to himself which is not the ideal nutrition for these fish anyways.

These fish are so gluttonous this theory would fit their mo.

I have one in my tank with a yellow tang and outside of being pigs they are very sociable with all. They follow me around begging for food. The sailfin would never eat algae in the tank til I got a yellow now they both graze like cows. <span style="font-size: 11px;">Don't tell the tang police, but these boys are in a 30. If McCain can live in a box for 5.5 years these guys can handle this tank.</span>:thumbs:

I have a sailfin and yellow tang in a 125g -- they like to mix it up a bit -- but no harm to either one or any other fish.

I have noticed that they are both more aggressive when hungry. Thus, I feed them frequently (they love garlic pellets) and of course Nori.

Back