MH burn in question

sailfish

Market
Reaction score
My understanding of MH bulbs is the older they get the less blue they are. Is this correct?

I ordered some EVC bulbs and the insides look exactly like Helios but the color is more of 14k at best. My old bulbs are way more blue. The owner wants me to let them burn in but that makes no sense to me because to me they will only get worse no better.

So tell me what you guys have heard/experienced. I am starting to second guess myself.

Thanks Joe

I agree with you Joe. I have single ended 400w XM 20k's and after just a few months I could notice a small shift. Now, 6 months later I think they have the look of a 14k.

Actually thinking of replacing them at the 7 or 8 month mark.

All 20 k.s i have used lost blue with age . These Helios are not as blue as they were when new. they are fine as you said they would be .radiums helios xm and pulserite 20ks all lost some blue after burn in. If the evc get bluer Iwant them keep us updated

Initially they get bluer. Laster the colour will shift towards yellow.

Lmk how those bulbs do and what their par readings are. I haven't seen these bulbs in years!

What Skirz said with my Radiums. Got bluer after a few days and now leveled out.

Thanks for all the feed back.

Not to sound like an *** but this sounds like an urban myth.:) I will give it a try as I am about ready to throw them on the concrete. This will be the 2nd set of bulbs to try in a week not all them were EVC.

Joe

Well I am sending two out of 4 EVC bulbs back for some more. They work fine but the color is off. The color on the others is about the same as helios. So they are most likely the same bulbs like others have mentioned. Maybe thats why only 50% of them are blue and the others yellowish. LOL Chad at reef science said that in a few weeks they will have a brand new batch of bulbs so maybe these will be better. Also Allen at Atlanta reef carries them now.

Joe

Back