Microbubbles, oh my!

tebriel

Market
Reaction score
So i got this kinda old proclear aquatics skimmer for like 75$, good deal, imo. But it releases crazy amounts of microbubbles no matter the venturi setting. How do i stop this? It's in my refugium in the last compartment with the return pump because that's the only place it'll fit. Would a filter sock work? Do I need a sponge? I'd prefer the filter sock, easier to apply but I wasn't sure if it would eliminate those bubbles

You can have the output of the skimmer go into a bubble trap of some type, I think a sponge would be more effective than a sock. Can you re-route the skimmer output back to the overflow section or fuge section of the sump? A picture would help to access the issue!;)

dsc00960iu5.jpg
alt="" />
and
dsc00959nw5.jpg
alt="" />

haninja;107629 wrote: Turn your fuge around...put the return pump on the other side

I would, but that would mean that if the siphon breaks on my overflow i would pump more than 1/2 the refugium back into the tank because the first chamber isn't 2 wall baffled, it's got a slit about 5 in above the bottom. If I didn't live in an apartment above someone else, I might do it, but I can't risk getting their stuff wet too

Put the skimmer in the middle compartment (near the left side), place lots of live rocks as baffles between the skimmer and the return area. The live rocks will slow down the flow and break up the bubbles.

purpleGORILLA;107631 wrote: Put the skimmer in the middle compartment (near the left side), place lots of live rocks as baffles between the skimmer and the return area. The live rocks will slow down the flow and break up the bubbles.

It's been my plan though to add a 4" sand bed and some live rock and then chaeto tumbling in the top, i just installed this fuge tuesday and am still getting everything put together...the fact that the overflow and return work is a miracle

tebriel;107630 wrote: I would, but that would mean that if the siphon breaks on my overflow i would pump more than 1/2 the refugium back into the tank because the first chamber isn't 2 wall baffled, it's got a slit about 5 in above the bottom. If I didn't live in an apartment above someone else, I might do it, but I can't risk getting their stuff wet too

<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">I would patch that slit with a piece of acrylic. </span></span><span style="font-family: Verdana;"></span>

I am with Haninja on this one. Skimming after the fuge isn't as good of a design either. Patch the hole and move the skimmer is your best bet and a better overall design.

Back