Mini Blue Tnags

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
Over the past few years I've been to many lfs that carry "mini" blue tangs (~1") and large tangs anywhere from 3-6". I've always assumed that the smaller tangs are harder to care for than their large friends. Is this true?

Whenever I think about this I always recall being told that the smaller tang is harder to care for due to feeding requirements, but I'm not sure if there is anything else to worry about?

Feel free to share your experience with this fish and/or thoughts on care.

i bought a mini[1"] blue tang about a year ago and it has done splendid.its about 3 1/2" now and eats everything.im not sure how much easier or difficult they are to care for as this is only the second blue tang ive ever owned.

well, are they actually tangs?
it sounds like a stupid question, but I just read an article where there are "Dory" damsel fish that have the same coloration that are beginning to be reared in captivity. They are calling them mini dory fish.

The article is in this month's issue of Coral

oh. i didn't see where reefer had gotten one too.. hmmm guess there is such a thing..
Cool

SnowManSnow;1090489 wrote: well, are they actually tangs?
it sounds like a stupid question, but I just read an article where there are "Dory" damsel fish that have the same coloration that are beginning to be reared in captivity. They are calling them mini dory fish.

Yellow tail damsels?

SnowManSnow;1090490 wrote: oh. i didn't see where reefer had gotten one too.. hmmm guess there is such a thing..
Cool

I've seen the mini blue tangs at some of the sponsor stores. I'm contemplating getting one till it outgrows my tank.

SnowManSnow;1090489 wrote: well, are they actually tangs?

Scrilla;1090503 wrote: Yellow tail damsels?

I do believe that Brandon is referring to yellow tail damsels, which are very similar in color and would be a great alternative to blue tangs for beginners

Mini tangs are usually not a problem. they just eat and grow way faster from 1" to 3".

When I had my 58g tank I would get 1"-2" tangs and grow them to 4-6" then swap them out and repeat. I did that at least 5 times.

baby tangs rock!

Not familiar with the term, but very young blue tangs are very fragile. They need to eat constantly - which can lead to water quality problems... which can kill them. Vicious circle.

Jenn

I'm a little confused by this thread. I hope people don't believe that there are actual tangs that stay less 3" small... Smallest tang I know of will still at least get 5-6"

Or are you guys actually talking about the common Yellow tail damsel...

We call our juvenile Blue Regals "Tiny" Blue Tangs. Usually no more then 1" in size. We stock them all the time... should even have some for the BBQ tomorrow. They actually do very well. Definitely recommend a cleaner system that is well established. Weekly water changes and frequent feeding is strongly recommended but these little buggers have been getting pretty darn hardy lately.

Some of the real small Blue Tangs have been captive raised. Collected right after metamorphosing. Hardier than a small wild collected Tang. Years ago I would bet anything a small Tang would not survive in a aquarium. But I have seen many lately. I actually have one now that I received from a friend when he shut down his system. It is about 4" now and healthy.

reeferman;1090651 wrote: not doubting Jenn whatsoever but i feed mine once a day[always have] and it grows like a weed.i feed LRS Reef Frenzy

Does it have algae to graze on? If there's a constant source of food, whether prepared, or natural, they stand a better chance than if they are in a sterile tank with limited prepared foods.

They're babies - they are growing quickly and need to eat a lot to grow.

I agree with Spike that ones reared in captivity (collected when they are very small) fare better, but the fact is they need to EAT, and a lot of good food.

LRS is just the trick for that.

Jenn

JennM;1090662 wrote: Does it have algae to graze on? If there's a constant source of food, whether prepared, or natural, they stand a better chance than if they are in a sterile tank with limited prepared foods.

I agree with Spike that ones reared in captivity (collected when they are very small) fare better, but the fact is they need to EAT, and a lot of good food.

Jenn

Jenn are you going to make an appearance tomorrow? Eh? =)

aXio;1090655 wrote: I'm a little confused by this thread. I hope people don't believe that there are actual tangs that stay less 3" small... Smallest tang I know of will still at least get 5-6"

Or are you guys actually talking about the common Yellow tail damsel...

We call our juvenile Blue Regals "Tiny" Blue Tangs. Usually no more then 1" in size. We stock them all the time... should even have some for the BBQ tomorrow. They actually do very well. Definitely recommend a cleaner system that is well established. Weekly water changes and frequent feeding is strongly recommended but these little buggers have been getting pretty darn hardy lately.

I don't mean to confuse anyone about a tang that doesn't get as big as a normal tang. We are referring to the same "tiny" blue tangs. I am looking to purchase one, so tomorrow will probably be my chance.

no real algae to speak of but its certainly not a sterile tank.
JennM;1090662 wrote: Does it have algae to graze on? If there's a constant source of food, whether prepared, or natural, they stand a better chance than if they are in a sterile tank with limited prepared foods.

Jenn

aXio;1090663 wrote: Jenn are you going to make an appearance tomorrow? Eh? =)

Oh... that's today, eh?

Uh... not sure. Have to take dog to the vet at 11:15... not sure what's on after that. I'll tell Brian there's free food, maybe he'll want to swing by ;)

Jenn

JennM;1090685 wrote: Oh... that's today, eh?

Uh... not sure. Have to take dog to the vet at 11:15... not sure what's on after that. I'll tell Brian there's free food, maybe he'll want to swing by ;)

Jenn

Lol Free food and BBQ to boot!

aXio;1090663 wrote: Jenn are you going to make an appearance tomorrow? Eh? =)

Hijacking the thread... but sure am glad you reminded me, Jakub :)

Looks like I have a tank to set up! :yay:

Back