Mix Bucket Water Cloudy?!?!?!

sj miller guy

Market
Reaction score
Well this weekend I switched salt mix. I had been using Instant Ocean for almost a year and decided to switch to Seachem Reef Salt. Well I've had a mix bucket mixing with a powerhead in it for about 6-7 hours now and I noticed the water is cloudy.

All I did was add the purified water, added some Prime, and added salt to meet my salinity. It's the same thing I've been doing for the past year, I'm just not sure why now the water is cloudy.

Should I attribute it to the mix? Should I dump it and start again?

Sorry, I've just never seen this before.

First off, don't be sorry? I have used Seachem as well and had the cloudiness also. I have used the water still and it doesn't seem to affect anything . I'd like to know why this is though.

Thanks for the input on Seachem. I can't count how many buckets of Instant Ocean and never seen this happen.

Yeah, I am using IO now and I am loving it. Hopefully someone will chime in and help us out.

Maroons16;42700 wrote: Yeah, I am using IO now and I am loving it. Hopefully someone will chime in and help us out.

Are you using the Reef Crystals or just the Instant Ocean? I've heard from several people such as Bobby up at Capp. Bay that the Seachem is better than the IO for maintaining PH and alkalinity etc. I really wanted to try something new anyway, it seemed like my corals have reached a wall with growth that I'm trying to push them over.

wbholwell;42704 wrote: curious- why do you use Prime?

I've just always been told to add 1-3 drops in case there is any chlorine etc. left in the water after filtration.

Sorry...it's been a long day. I did NOT mean Prime, I mean the Seachem detox. For some reason the name escapes me.

I do not continually use Prime...sorry.

I been using Searchimg for a year now and had never had that problem.

I never use anything else add to my water. My RO/DI did everything that it need to be doing so it just water and salt.

Leave it over noght and see if it clear up. I alway left mine over night so I really can not tell you what happen in 6-7 hours.

It could still be missing the salt.

It may just be me, but I wouldn't use the water (why risk it?) Do you bring the water temp up w/ a heater before adding the salt? Also, if you're thinking of switching salt brands, I just switched to Tropic Marin ProReef and I'm really loving it.

Yes the water was brought up to temp before adding salt. As for using the water....I dumped it and started over.

SJ Miller Guy;42703 wrote: Are you using the Reef Crystals or just the Instant Ocean? I've heard from several people such as Bobby up at Capp. Bay that the Seachem is better than the IO for maintaining PH and alkalinity etc. I really wanted to try something new anyway, it seemed like my corals have reached a wall with growth that I'm trying to push them over.

As for the salt... this is one of the more over thought parts of the process. I know different salts have different strengths and weaknesses, but I think you will find you will do great with practically any major brand salt. Failures in reef tanks to my knowledge are rarely if ever attributed to salt mixtures beyond not reading the directions. I personally like IO or RC because it dissolves quickly, quality brand proven over time and it is relatively cheap.

If it is growth you seek, the salt mix is likely to have little or no measurable effect. Look to increased flow and lighting (assuming a light oriented coral such as SPS). Shifting your lighting toward the natural sunlight spectrum should yield an increase in PAR and conversely an increase in growth. Shoot up the flow so the corals oxygenate better and you should see an increase as well. Also make sure you are dosing the proper amount of calcium. Feeding is important for good sustained growth as well.

Thanks for the great information!

I'm actually looking into increasing some flow, or more so going to more of a current instead of stationary. I have two maxi jets, the return from my sump, and the return from my CPR refugium all blasting through my 55 right now which seems to be ok. I'm trying to find a good flow rotator or different piece to create more of a variable current instead of being so stationary.

Calcium is not something that I have really gotten into honestly. Lighting...well as for now I have a T-5 setup with two 54 watt 10,000k's and two 54 watt actinics. I'm looking to jump up tank size before I can swing MH's.

What would you recommend for "dosing" corals with a calcium suplement? Or should I say how?

SJ Miller Guy;42758 wrote: I'm actually looking into increasing some flow, or more so going to more of a current instead of stationary. I have two maxi jets, the return from my sump, and the return from my CPR refugium all blasting through my 55 right now which seems to be ok. I'm trying to find a good flow rotator or different piece to create more of a variable current instead of being so stationary.
Depending on the corals, increasing the flow could be a very good thing in your tank.

SJ Miller Guy;42758 wrote: Lighting...well as for now I have a T-5 setup with two 54 watt 10,000k's and two 54 watt actinics. I'm looking to jump up tank size before I can swing MH's.
I think you are fine with T5s. MH can give more par and punch the light further down in the tank, but T5s are going to light practically every coral you can buy well. This assumes you aren't running really old bulbs and a few other factors.

What would you recommend for "dosing" corals with a calcium suplement? Or should I say how?
Calcium is a requirement for corals. You can have great light and great flow, but if they cannot get calcium they simply can't grow and this is likely the reason you are running into a problem. I suggest starting with Seachem ReefComplete and a Calcium Test Kit. Those should get your calcium where it should be easily and I think you will see your corals respond nicely.

SJ Miller Guy;42710 wrote: Sorry...it's been a long day. I did NOT mean Prime, I mean the Seachem detox. For some reason the name escapes me.

I do not continually use Prime...sorry.
If this additive is one of the dry products, did you dissolve it in RO water first? Adding such products straight to saltwater can cause cloudiness and drop the pH down to 7.8 which I think is because the cloudiness is precipitated calcium. Either way, it ruins the batch of water.

George;42818 wrote: If this additive is one of the dry products, did you dissolve it in RO water first? Adding such products straight to saltwater can cause cloudiness and drop the pH down to 7.8 which I think is because the cloudiness is precipitated calcium. Either way, it ruins the batch of water.
Looking it up both Prime and Detox (which I believe is a Kent product) do essentially the same thing which is remove chlorXXX and ammonia. You are probably right that this may be the cause of the cloudiness or it is simply undissolved salt. I don't think it is jacking calcium up that high as it would need to be above 450, but I could be wrong. If it is calcium, it isn't harmful just cloudy. If it is undissolved salt, you need to wait until it is fully dissolved since you probably aren't getting an accurate salinity reading. If it is the chemicals, who knows. I will side with George on this one and go with the dump that batch and start another without the chemical treatment.

Thanks everyone for their information. I really appreciate it that when people try to help without judging or pointing the finger. I've been on forums that everyone tries to bash the newbie, but I appreciate it when people like you don't.

I've been on other forums like reefcentral and I get nothing but hell about any question I post just looking for info.

Anyways.....Thanks:noob:

We all make mistake here and there and learn from it. Heck I am still make mistake every now and then

Back