Mixing Container

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
What does everyone use for mixing saltwater?

I use a brute for large water changes and a 5 gallon bucket for smaller water changes.

32g Brutes for a portable option, poly tanks when stationary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

64863909313df1c5aa862b781cffd9cf.jpg
alt="" />
2 55 drums plumed together that drain down to 2 55 brutes and an outlet to fill a 32 gallon brute that is now on the left for top off.

anit77;1083111 wrote:
64863909313df1c5aa862b781cffd9cf.jpg
alt="" />
2 55 drums plumed together that drain down to 2 55 brutes and an outlet to fill a 32 gallon brute that is now on the left for top off.

Very nice

I use 2 44gal brutes on casters. my only gripe about my setup is the condensation due to water evaporation in the saltwater container. it always drip when I flip the cover to see how much more water I have left.

I use 2 55 gallon barrels, drilled with 1 1/4 ball locks for drains and one has float/shutoff. Been meaning to automate a bit.

hzheng33;1083136 wrote: I use 2 44gal brutes on casters. my only gripe about my setup is the condensation due to water evaporation in the saltwater container. it always drip when I flip the cover to see how much more water I have left.

I have the same problem. Before removing the top, hit it a few times to knock off some of the water.

Sidvicious;1083100 wrote: I find it easier to just buy saltwater and fresh RODI from the LFS.

This was my worst nightmare,25 gallon waters changes up two flights of stairs made me invest in a rodi quickly

WILLIE1983;1083149 wrote: This was my worst nightmare,25 gallon waters changes up two flights of stairs made me invest in a rodi quickly

In this case I'd invest in a RO/DI as well. I'm only doing 5 gallon water changes every week with 5 gallons fresh on hand for top offs. I'd say if you are doing 20 plus gallons a week it's definitely cost effective to invest in a RO/DI.

LSU_fishFan;1083124 wrote: Very nice

jrhunter0000;1083177 wrote: Very nice setup
Thank you both.

Other than actual mixing the whole thing runs off gravity. The two outputs can be boosted with the pump if needed. Apex controls the filling of the drums with a mechanical float as backup. The final fail safe is through one of the caps in each drum that are plumbed together to create an overflow pipe which runs down to the 44 gallon in front. It has a sump pump in it that pumps waste to grade through the sewer line you can see to the right.

I have the same issue with condensation on the lids of the brutes. Like Luke, I find a couple good taps on them knocks most of it down.

anit77;1083193 wrote: Thank you both.

Other than actual mixing the whole thing runs off gravity. The two outputs can be boosted with the pump if needed. Apex controls the filling of the drums with a mechanical float as backup. The final fail safe is through one of the caps in each drum that are plumbed together to create an overflow pipe which runs down to the 44 gallon in front. It has a sump pump in it that pumps waste to grade through the sewer line you can see to the right.

I have the same issue with condensation on the lids of the brutes. Like Luke, I find a couple good taps on them knocks most of it down.

where did you get the white drums from? are they clear enough that you can see the water level?

hzheng33;1083281 wrote: for the heck of it, this is my setup. saves me a lot of time for water changes. right side is rodi and left is saltwater. water is mixed and pumped by mag 9.
20160502_214450_zpsj2utp3ku.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Cool setup.

Can you describe exact,y how you run the plumbing? What is the elbow on the right brute for?

LSU_fishFan;1083290 wrote: Cool setup.

Can you describe exact,y how you run the plumbing? What is the elbow on the right brute for?

at the time of the build, there was a concern of which container is going to hold the saltwater and which one is going to hold the rodi. so i drilled two holes for each container and the one on the right is capped of since it's not been used for saltwater. the idea is that i could always switch them out if i wanted to.

in the future, i'm going to add a water level detection tube so that i don't have to open the lids every time.

fishtank;1083271 wrote: where did you get the white drums from? are they clear enough that you can see the water level?

Got'em off Craigslist. Something like $15-20 each. They had probiotics in them and rinsed clean very quickly. The guy was in the east side of Lawrenceville, don't see any of his listings right now.

They're more opaque than clear, especially with the light on. I need to turn it off and shine a flashlight in from the side to see where the level is at.

Back